Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Targets VS Baselines

3 replies [Last post]
M Colon
User offline. Last seen 10 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am in the transition phase amongst P3 to P3e/c V5. While tring to assign targets to my projects I noticed that I have to convert the Targets into baselines. Dis anybody run into the same predicament?
I posted the following on Primavera help:
"Why is it now that I have to convert my Target projects for comparison into baselines? I am only allowed to have One Baseline as per my contract requirements. If after I convert the Target into a baseline, I do not want it to be a baseline, then how do I undo this action?
This is not convenient and it goes against scheduling principles. Why call targets, baselines? I do not get the concept

**** Entered By: MMAGEE @ 2007-01-08 07:28 ****

Dear Myrelie,
The baseline functionality has been improved a great deal for version 5.0. It is called a baseline as when using the current project it allows a ’snapshot’ of the project at anytime for comparison in the future, this fits the baseline functionality perfectly.

If you do not wish to convert a project to a baseline you can copy this project then convert the copy to a baseline (please note changes to the project will not be reflected in the baseline).
If you wish to restore the baseline to a project you can simply use the ’Restore’ option from Project -> Maintain Baselines option.

Some of new features in 5.0 are the ’Update Baseline’ functionality. This enables you to update the baseline (such as add new activities/ information) without having to restore the baseline as required in previous versions.
I hope this answers your questions. If there is any more information you require, please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Solution ID: prim29823
Solution Title: What Project Details are updated when updating a baseline

**** Entered By: OCPCust @ 2007-01-08 09:04 ****

I strongly believe that the Nomenclature of Baseline shall be "reserved" for the schedule prepared as per contract requirements that represents the scope of work, cost as well as the duration of the project as the contractor plans to carry the work at time of contract award after if it is approved by the owner. The fact that the new primavera converts every potential target into a baseline presents a problem since a scheduler can loose track of which one is the real Baseline to the project.
Why would a scheduler want to convert every update into a baseline? What if there’s a claim or the project conditions change and a mitigation schedule is required? How would you go back? I think by having a "Baseline" (AS noted on the P3e/cV5) and and having to create another copy of the project creates a lot of unnecessary work and redundancy in the system that is not required.
Please advise."

Can you give me any feedback on how you coped with this issue? It is very inconvenient for me to have 20 or 30 baselines. any help is appreciated

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I agree with both David and Kevin,

In P3 you need to create a copy of you schdule as a target baseline (Anyway)
and it only allows 2 target plan.

What is the different if you need to create a copy of your current plan to become a baseline (No different what so ever to P3)
And if you decided not to update and continuous keep a baseline copy of last progress - Fine, this feature is only for the one who would like to keep a aduitable history.

I dont understand your issue, can you explain more
"Why would a scheduler want to convert every update into a baseline? (Only if you wanted to Why Not)
What if there’s a claim or the project conditions change and a mitigation schedule is required? (Already Explained by Kevin)
How would you go back? (You restore your baseline and become a project as its own)
I think by having a "Baseline" (AS noted on the P3e/cV5) and and having to create another copy of the project creates a lot of unnecessary work (You have to create another project in P3 how does it create more work for you??)
and redundancy in the system that is not required.(Did you backup your monthly progress update in P3?? Is that call keeping the history, how many time you have difficult to find your monthly backup, and how long does it take to restore the backup and try to do a comparsion)
Please advise."
Alex
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I agree with David, there are a number of ways to create copies for future comparison:
1. Set a baseline.
2. Copy the project.
3. Backup your project to XER file.

Any of these options can later be used with Claim Digger or some other comparison tool.
M C,

The baseline capabilities of P3eR5 allows you to set as many baselines as you wish. Baselines may be categorised by type, e.g. Original, What if, Previous period etc.
I find this feature invaluable. By saving a baseline at the end of each period update you are creating a full audit trail.

You can also use any baseline that you wish (Up to 3 at once) In addition, baselines can be re-converted to projects and claim digger used to run a comparison.

I am not sure what your issue is !!

Regards

Dave