Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

RESOURCES IN P3e

9 replies [Last post]
Davie Ross
User offline. Last seen 12 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone tell me if there is a quick way like fill down or cut and pasting resources to activities.

Replies

Davie Ross
User offline. Last seen 12 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you all for your help I have got over this one by selecting a group of tasks with the assign resources window open and then selecting the resource.
Every day is a school day as they say.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Chris

Yes my mistake - must be mix up with AD as well
You can only assign resource to a role only

ALex
Chris Radecki
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,

I believe Vu is right. I tried and I could not assign resources with Global Change in P3e (maybe I was thinking of AD in the dim past of P3)

I can change the resources with GC .... but assign them no.

If there is a way to Global Change , could you share it with us. Don’t spend too much time on it though.
Alex Wong
Vu

Global do allow you assign resource

Regards

Alex
DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Chris,

Global change dont work for assigning resources,
and agree with the backup thing.

-------------------------

Kevin,

that is a good idea, i like that one,

works good on project where 1 resources works on different activities,

not work good on different resources working on different activites i guess.

Alex,
thanks for the advise,
that way works only with 1 project at a time, still better than nothing yeah.
c u soon mate.

Kind regards,

Vu Dang
Chris Radecki
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
2 eze KB.

Maybe Global Change is also an option? (standard proviso - backup, backup and backup again)
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Another way is to select all of the activities that you want to assign a resource to, then click the Assign Resources button and select the resource(s) to be assigned to the selected activities.

Cheers

KB
Alex Wong
Vu

I guess we all got your picture of selling ToolBox. Be careful the mediator might get you if you keep selling...

Hi Gents

Back to the question, If you want to copy a majority of duplicated resource to a large no of activity, you can simply use cut and paste in the activity or resource assignment tab or use one of the import excel file provided by P3e

Good Luck

Alex
DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
hi Davie,

I know exactly what you mean, like a quick way to assign resources to activities.

I went thru this situation a few years back, when my managers asked me to assigned resources to activities that is very repititive. (there has to be a better way).
I got sick of clicking the same button over and over actually.

- i know abit about programming and started to code a few things, and realised that other users will need the same function. so hence, created the "DangCorp ToolBox"
, that is why i have a few suggestions for you here for you from my own experience.

Suggestions.
=============

1. If you know programming, then use the SDK, API to write your own program.

A few years ago, i want to choose this path, but there was no choice out there. So i have to built it myself.

Use off the shelve products to assign resources to activities quickly etc- also i have build lots of function to my product "ToolBox (tm)" to do other tasks too, not just assigning resources.

- this ToolBox is like your personal slave. hehehhe, i have a client that uses my ToolBox nearly everyday to update all of his progresses and resources.

- i have a client that told me as a joke that, if his managers do not know about this ToolBox, he can says it would take him 2 days to progress and use the ToolBox to update and relax for the 2 days. ehhehe, (i am not sure if he do this for real, but sounds like a good idea). i dont suggest you do this to your managers but, it sounds funny.

3. Request this function to p3e, it might take longer but sooner or later P3e will get around to build it for you.
(i recommend this to you, and with patients), as some funciton i am still waiting form them to build... )

4. Do an integration, but this usually takes time on consulting and require the whole company on board to get it happening. (which i think is a plan for long term).
- I have tried this long before as well, but this is takes time mate, and can costs you an arm and a leg (depends on who you talk to). hehehehehhe.

see u

Vu Dang
www.dangcorp.com