Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Weight Factor

13 replies [Last post]
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Colleagues,

I need please your help on the below issue:
I allocated resources on the schedule such as TEAM1, TEAM2 and TEAM3 with their man-hours. I need to calculate the weight factor and show it in a column, the weight factor is the percentage of manhours for each activity over the overall total manhours.
If I assign a custom data numeric called WF, where the overall total manhours (OTM) value is stored and is it predefined? I don’t want to show the value of the OTM on the screen (read and use it), how can I make a global change to indicate that WF = BQ/OTM and WF=100*WF ?

Thanking you in advance.

Best Regards,
J. Daniel

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

In P3e you can open the project and in the project view you can display a column call Total man hrs - OTM and then run a global change in your activity view and store the OTM in a user defined field (CDI) that way not excel import or export at all

I am not sure is that what you are looking for?

Hope it helps,

Alex
Jihad Daniel
Dear Ravi, thanks for your prompt reply...Unfortunately, what I am looking for, is different than what you are thinking of. May be I just did not explain well what I need. You know, sometimes it’s different to communicate by correspondences and make everyone understands exactly what you need...

Anyway, what I am looking for is to link P3 on a temporary database which can be excel or access, get the required information on OTM from these softwares and use them in P3 to calculate WF.

I read interesting papers on this subject done by Paul E. Harris from Eastwood Harris. Hope that he read this thread and can offer me his help in this matter.

Thanks and Regards,
J.S. Daniel
Ravi Potwar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Mr Danial
No need of showing on Screen
Since you have loaded manhrs as Resources same way you have to create the resources as Weight factor & budget quantity equal to manhrs of that activity divided by to tal manhrs .you can do this by Global change or export/emport function.

No need of Excle Sheet.
Still if you have problem. Send Prx File I will do for You.
ravi@anes.ae
Jihad Daniel
Sorry Ravi, but as I explained, I don’t want to read or use excel, graphical report or other.I’m simply asking if there is a value like OTM where I can store it in P3e and use it to calculate WF or other, without reading it or showing on the screen or calculating it manually...

Thank you for your cooperation...

Regards,
J. S. Daniel
Ravi Potwar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
In order to load the % weight factor you can do the following.
1)Create the resources as wt Factors
2) Assign to all activity with Global change
3) Assign the budget Quantity = Manhr/Total Manhrs*100%
4) Total of this Resources will be 100%.
5)By using the GraphiicalReports you can see the % (S curve)
Hope you understand.
Ravi
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
[Disrespectful (and non-helpful) answer deleted by Moderator.]
Jihad Daniel
Steven,
It is preferable to do the calculation one time but I don’t think it’s possible. Think about the possibility of having these teams custom data itemized as follows:
TEAM1 for Concept Design having a total overall Mhrs of OTM1
TEAM2 for Draft Design with OTM2
TEAM3 for Draft Final Design with OTM3
TEAM4 for Final Design with OTM4
and consider having for each Design Department diffrent working teams,
If we want to have WF for each team in each department then for each team in all departments, think about the long process to do that in GC and in manually input each OTM...
That’s why I am asking about an easy way to do that...

Regards,
J. Daniel
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
You would only need to do the Global Calc once.
Jihad Daniel
Bill,
In fact, I don’t want to input mechanically the figure of OTM but I am hoping that there is a way in storing this value and use it. Think about the possibility of having "x" activity custom datas, in that case we need to do GC for each of the "x"?!

Thank you for your assistance...I am eager to have another suggestion...

Regards,
J.S. Daniel
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
J.S.

If you don’t want to use Excel, you would need to type the actual value for OTM in the GC equation. As you said, you can get this value from the screen. Use numeric custom item for WF and use the equations you specified WF=BQ/OTM’s actual value and WF=100 * WF. If OTM changes, you need to change OTM value in your equation and rerun the global change. Perhaps someone has another way to do this, but this should work for you.

Regards,

Bill
Jihad Daniel
Dear Alex, it is on P3e

Dear Bill, OTM and WF are both values as OTM is the overall total manhours in the Project and WF is the weight factor of each activity (in %), so they have both same levels. Also, I don’t want to make a separate calculation on excel or other or else I could simply see the OTM on the screen and identify its value then make the calculation of WF.

Thanks for your immediate assistance...

Best Regards,
J. Daniel
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
J. Daniel,

I don’t see a way to do this calculation through global change, since WF is assignment level and OTM is activity level.

You could create resource assignment report grouped by activity ID, save as ASCII comma delimited, and then open in Excel to do your weighting calculations there.

Regards,
Bill
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Are u refer to P3 or P3e,

Please clarify

Cheers

Alex