Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Performance Factor in Earned value management

3 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

If i want to describe performance factor to a set of students in Earned value management , how could i describe....can any one guide me...

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Haresh,
The usual usage of PF is for analysis or what if scenario.
If the PF = 1 then using what if scenario what will be the forecast cost to complete and or At completion cost of a project.

Let say the PF is doing good and cost performance index is lower than actual. Is the project is saving cost at the end of the project or over expend if the trend will continue? Using what if PF = 1 / cost performance index how much cost of project at completion.

If cost performance index is poor but schedule performance index is good using what if scenario PF=1/CPI*SPI how much cost of project at completion if the trend will continue.

Using this kind of analysis a PM should be alerted and make a move to catch up project cost and schedule if delay or continue improving if performing well.
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rodel,

Under what scenario, I have to use the following formulas to compute earned value for PF.......

For Example:
If PF = 1, the scenario of the project is doing well i.e. on Schedule.
If PF = 1 / Cost Performance Index, under - what scenario it is used??????????.
If PF = 1 / CPI* SPI…. what scenario it is used??????????.
Under what scenario , we use PF-----factor

If u know some presentation or links clearly showing the use of PF under different scenario , pls give it....

regards,

Haresh Jayanth
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Haresh,
Performance factor = Productivity Factor.
It is used for measuring Performance of a labor or crew or any measurable item in construction vs the target. It is also used by the estimator considering other factors that affecting the productivity like site condition, Risk and Safety, resource availability, weather condition, working at height and etc…

For Earned Value Performance Factor is called Performance Index.
PF = 1 meaning it is performing well as target = actual
PF = 1 / Cost Performance Index = 1 / (BCWP) EV / (ACWP) AV
PF = 1 / Cost Performance Index * Schedule Performance Index = 1 / (BCWP) EV / (ACWP) AV * (BCWP) EV / (BCWS) PV
PF = ?? = enter estimated PF use by the estimator or planner.