Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copying activity data description

10 replies [Last post]
Yves Trudel
User offline. Last seen 17 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all,
I’m trying to copy activity data from one field to another. I succeed in copying the codes, but I dont know how to copy descriptions.
Any hint?
Thanks in advance
Yves

Replies

Yves Trudel
Good morning to all!
Yes, I undesstand I had to be more precise. What I am working at is to rearrange the activity codes in the "Activity Form" at screen bottom. The code TXT0 is in position 3 (Data / Activity codes /Activity codes)
As I want to uniformize 4 different projects to merge into a Project Group, I deduct I need to sort their activity codes in the same rank.
The activity code TXT0 exist only in one of the files and I presume it has to be moved away in order to get all projects forms compatible, or at least more convenient to use for any of the "sub projects" I want to create.
I tought I had only to renumber the code rank in the "activity form" dialog box, but I could not. So I decide to create a new activity code at the bottom of the existing ones, and make a global change to populate it. This is where I need help: I get the proper codes, but I loose all descriptions. So if I delete the TXT0 code, I have to work with a separate document to keep explanation of the moved codes.

In this case Jackie and Sigfredo have the proper understanding.
Thank you all again, it is a great pleasure to see all that team spirit to help.

Yves
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Yves

I will try again

If it is only the activity code description titles you are attempting to copy, I am not sure that there is a quick way of doing this.

The easiest I could think of is:

Go to your "Data Code Directory", I understand you have created your code values.

Go to the code title you would like to copy and highlight the title in your "Data Entry Box"

Copy the description (mouse right click) and past this to the appropriate field against your new code.

I trust this will solve your problem.

Jackie Gilliland
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Yves,

I think you still have to be more precise. What do you want to copy? The code values (in Data, than use transfer) or the assigned code values (in general view, than use one of the proposed replies). In this case however global change also works if you use it in the right way.

Regards

Hannes
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ganesan,

Are you sure you can copy activity "code description" using fill cell command? In fill cell command you can only copy activity "codes" or values not its description. Please note I highlighted the words code description and codes(values).

Cheers,

Se
Ganesan Sebrenmani
User offline. Last seen 11 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
hi,

i agree with jackie. it’s the easiest way to copy an items codes or description to another.

insert the column, highlight and fill cells.

cheers.
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Yves,

I’m afraid you have to redo the activity code description. Code descriptions to my understanding can not be imported or exported only the code values. Unless someone out there has a better solution.

Cheers,

Se
Jackie Gilliland
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Yves

If I understand correctly, you have created a new code which you would like to add to a group of activities.
If this is the case this should work for you.

-In the "Format/Column" tag, add a new column for this code field

-Now select an activity coded to this field, or if you have none select one of the activities you would like to allocate the code to and add it manually.

-Next ensure this code field column is visible on your screen and click your cursor on this code.

-Then highlight all activities you would like to allocate this code to.

I hate to shout but this is important.

ENSURE YOUR CURSOR IS STILL ON THE CODE YOU WOULD LIKE TO COPY and that the activities you would like to allocate the code to are highlighted.

-Now select "Edit/Fill Cell"

This should solve your problem

Good Luck
Jackie Gilliland
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Yves,

You could also try to export it to excel and include also the data(s) you need then you can do the copy&paste faster... Just a thought..

Cheers!

Christian
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Yves,

Move the Activity Code to a different position???

Try Format/Columns. There you can add, delete, INSERT column headings to your preference locations.

Regards,
Sen
Yves Trudel
Just a little precision: I work with global change. I created a new activity code and I want to copy what I had in the existing code.
i.e. TXT1 EQ TXT0
In this case I get the proper code, but not the description.
I tried TXT1 EQ TTL(TXT0)
But I get only the first characters of the title, and I dont get the field code.
By the way, the goal is to move the activity code field to a different position.
Still hoping for help
;-)
Yves