Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Program Duration

2 replies [Last post]
Nifemi Ogunyemi
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi guys,

I have created two programs in p6. Both showing activities over a certain period of time. One is showing critical activities which if can't be done during the allocated time, must be done during an allocated possesion with no allowance for risk. The other program shows all activities, due to be complete on time.

My issue is how do I merge both programs to show the minimum time needed, maximum time needed and most likely duration for both programs.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Replies

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Nifemi;

I don't understand your situation - critical schedule and normal schedule to be merged.

Absent analysis, I propose you modify the durations by a percentage. PRA defaults to +/-25%, which may or may not be applicable. Assuming the current durations came from a credible estimate, those durations are your most likely. The optimistic is the likely times -%, I'd go with 10%. So your optimistic would be .9 likely. Similarly for the pessimistic. I'd suggest 25%, so it would be 1.25 likely. Then use the deterministic (calculated) dates for each of the three runs.

This is not the way it should be done. This method does not allow for variability (stochasitic variability) within the range. My caution is not to do this. You won't get the 'answer' you seek. Your program appears to violate sound project control methodologies. Please re-think.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

The minimum time would be using the early dates

The maximum time would be using the late dates

for the minimum durations you can make them equal to the schedule which is being done on time

for the maximum duration you can use the schedule where it is not being done on time 

for the most likely durations you can use the value between the max and the min durations