Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Software Solution

16 replies [Last post]
Brandon Shaw
User offline. Last seen 19 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
While I am looking at a couple of software packages to accomodate my company’s planning/scheduling needs, I am amazed that there are no total software solutions. By this I mean, a program suite that comes bundle that will manage time and payroll, costing, planning/scheduling, estimating etc. Maybe I am just missing this software and there is one out there. If there isn’t, maybe it might be a worthwhile venture for an experienced project manager and a computer programmer to develop. Let me know what you think.

Replies

Pedrito,
I think that the best way of choosing the software is to create a list of functional requirements and then to try Demo or Evaluation versions from your point of view. The software that does everything (or most) of what you need shall be considered further. And ask the software vendors how to solve your tasks and receive necessary reports. Their answers will show the level of support, and help you to find the solutions that are not obvious.
Good luck,
Vladimir
Pedrito Salamat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you guys,

I was so glad hearing all your informative feedback regarding the software solutions. Now, what we need perhaps are those softwares such as RPM, Spider Project, CCS, P3e, although I have my idea that P3e is quite costly if I wanna buy at my own to search for the reports capability regarding what I really need.

While before we can conclude how powerful the software what we want to use, I feel that we need to open those , use those if that really match our needs. So therefore, maybe we could get from you where we could obtain , order the software , and whether it is affordable or we need support financially from the employers where we worked. However , if ever I could afford I wish I could able to order those WHERE.....please let me have that info.
Irfaan Adams
User offline. Last seen 19 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I have recently started using RPM (Rational Portfolio manager) which was formally know as PMOffice. In my opinion and seeing what this software can do I can assure you that this is a total software solution. I am not gonna post a link here, because i don’t want to be seen as advertising this product, so if you do want to check it out drop me a personal mail and I will glady provide you with the link, unless ofcourse you have some good search engine skills.

Regards
Irfaa
Several Remarks:
1. It does not make sense to connect PM software with the accounting system. Accounting is based on the documents (at least in Russia), PM monitoring - on field reports. It is different information and the only thing that is necessary - to compare these data.
2. Our software Spider Project has an open format of storing project data in the database (Oracle, MS SQL Server, Access, just any SQL database) or in the text files. So integration is easy. But what integration?
3. To my knowledge Primavera does not simulate profits and cost components. So, Pedrito I cannot send you Primavera example.
4. In Spider Project Demo (http://www.spiderproject.ru/spider_e.php) there is an example of the construction project schedule with the cost components (materials, labor, machines, indirect costs, etc.) including profit forecast and project financing. So you can aplly any analysis of the project budget and project performance and receive any reports, like project cost, project revenues, project cash flow, project performance cash flow, profit, loss, just anything including the use of discounting, calculating NPV, IRR, payback period, etc. You can also calculate project schedule with the financial and supply constrints.

Please inform me what reports do you need, I don’t understand what integration except integration with the accounting do you mean. Our customers usually use Spider Project for everything except accounting for the reasons I mentioned above.

Thank everybody for the interesting discussion. It may suggest good ideas for the future development.
Beverly McDonald
User offline. Last seen 18 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Brandon. I’m new to the board but, I do have a suggestion for you.
Primavera has just released a Suite of products that will support all aspects of a project. No, I’m not a salesperson for Primavera, but if it works, why not use it?
From what I understand, the Cost Accounting portion of the program is an "audit trail" type of reporting. This is a mjor step forward for Primavera. It is a P3e Database format, so it’s not P3, but similar.
Good luck!
Razi Khan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi

I think you guys should check CCS for integration of various aspect of project like budget, schedule, actual cost, material delivery, sub contractors liability and payment etc.

I used CCS more than 3 years and I find it really marvelous.

Cheers.
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

I think everybody agrees that there still no one product in the market that can integrate all the systems that have been mentioned. My personal view is because those who started pm softwares are project management practitioners not accountants. It is better if there’s someone out there who is both accounting savvy as well as practicing project management that could start a new product or integrate to an existing one if possible. I have been wanting to get hold of such a software ever since I started with P3 and MSP.

Software development is about functional requirements. If at first it was clear to the software developer that he is producing an integrated platform, then i don’t think it’s impossible to make one. People working on the development should be knowledgeable on the various systems required, functional requirements and integration.

IMHO,
Sigfred
Pedrito Salamat
Vladimir,
What I mean for the Integration will be coming from module of accounting (payrolls,direct cost materials, equipment cost)to be linked to my activities say in Primavera softwares in order that I could have exact direct cost amount so that I could have my comparisons between my achieve amount and my actual cost. This would be a great help in defining really in profit and loss based on the Primavera output report generation. I’ve heard about OB Prospero but it did not pursue.
Maybe you could able to send me one sample project in Primavera with all the resources and reports generated output for my analysis.
Brandon Shaw
Thanks for the feedback guys. But I don’t think it is impossible to achieve my goal. Nor do I feel it is a complicated one. Maybe as I become more experience my views and goals will change.
Pedrito,
schedule, budget, actual cost are things that must be supported by PM software. What reports you need but cannot get? What logic needs to be changed?
Accounting and PM are based on different initial information (accounting documentation and field reports). This is a restriction for integration. Do you have other problems?
Regards,
Vladimir
Pedrito Salamat
As far as I know that there is no software that you can get all the generated reports you want. For planning alone, you can easily generate the Critical Path , but to includes the budget , actual cost, achieve amount mix to the planning, we could not able to get the right report we are expecting. This is because you need to change some logics from where the duration or percentage completion differs.

While this Integration , I used to attend some seminars that they introduce this Integration but till this time no any clear results yet to use this kind of module. This is maybe because there are different system and approach to be considered such as accounting laws, construction logics, etc.
I don’t know about other software companies, but our strategy - to have happy customers. If our customers will be happy they will send us other customers, etc. So earning more money is not a goal, it is a result.
If there is a need in something our customers ask us if it can be done. If we see that it is not very specific and may be useful to others we develop new functionality. Our company is involved not only in software development but also in consulting, implementation of PM systems, and management of projects. Many things are developed for ourselves, because we use it in the real life. If there are simple decisions like connecting our software with the external one then we choose them instead of developing our own tools that just repeat other software functions.
I think that software companies are different, don’t make conclusions basing on the few examples.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,
These is my opinion, I dont think the software company will gathered the solution in one package, to me they can do this(gathered the software into one) but for long term software market for other software will fall down, because this is business strategy, to earn more money for their product to survive. If they have one cake they will share together.
cheers...Just want to open mind..what do u think / comment
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Brandon

I think in the real world it do not have a total software to address all the ends.

A dish washer cannot clean cloths. My points is every tools have its specific purposes and address certain needs.

Even Mircosoft separate WORD and Excel... why they have different functions that may or maynot require integration.

A clever person will make software as a building blocks where you can combine blocks together to form something that suit you.

Thats how large company do things. Asset Management, Human Resource Management, Timesheet, Project Management, Procurement Management, Cashflow Management, Accounting Management, Taxation Management.................

Some software powerhouse do have product that address most of the building blocks, like SAP MIMS... However, they are trying to do everything in life with a dishwasher (IMHO)

Sometime it makes it too difficult for everyone because not all software is strong in all aspect. Like Speed, Graphic, User interface, Integability, Web Platform,....

Another approach is "INTEGRATION" select the best software in the market to perform individual task and integrate them in a logical and co-ordinated manner where you can have to best of the world and integrated together.

Regards

Alex
Brandon Shaw
Well I feel if the timekeeping, payroll and costing were all intergrated into the project management software you would be able to automate tracking of actual hours verse estimated hours and create a pf along with an S curve. Also I haven’t really had time to thoroughly reveiw your software either. I am just wondering if there are any complete solutions out there. Thanks for your response Vladimir.
Brandon,
project management is based on field reports and not on accounting information. That is why PM systems usually do not include accounting. What other necessary things are missed? At least in Spider Project you can simulate everything in your list. If you will suggest something useful that is missed it will appear soon.