Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Skyline Chart

6 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Everyone,

Could anyone explain us about Skyline Chart. Can it be derived from P6. What is the use of it and how to prepare it. when to prepare it.

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 46 weeks ago. Offline

Chris,

This is an amazing website that balances well between knowledge-sharing and profit-making. The articles are concise and sincerely written, and I appreciate that the code is generally written within the project controls context. I look forward to having a go at some of the code snippets

chris cho
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

To my knowledge, the skyline chart is a pre-commissioning and commissioning management tool of one oil major company Shell and the tool was adopted by a mega Australian LNG project. At first, the skyline chart was produced by commissioning management package without specific progress status or detailed data. Due to this shortfall, Excel was preferred and the skyline chart was developed using Excel built-in functions. Weekly update was made. This tool was realized as very effective.

After the project, Excel VBA macro was developed to automate skyline chart. You may find the Excel macro program in the link below. 

https://www.kingstonesc.com/article/S/skyline%20project%20diagram/skylin...

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Jun,

Thank you very much. It would be really usefull to me. My mail ID is kjithinnair@yahoo.co.in

I got to know what a skyline is and made a chart in excel.

Jithin

jun liu
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

hi,

before i worked on one fpso project, i issued one skyline chart for MC by subsystem using VBA, if you interest, i can send you.

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Patrick,

Thanks. I do not have any idea about Skyline and even in Google I couldnt find anything much. I got to find this in one of the Clients document in Construction and System Completion Section. This was listed in there Tracking and Controling section.

I am not even sure if that is even related to Project Control. One of the manager asked me if I do know about it.

Regards

Jithin

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 6 days 11 hours ago. Offline

A 'Skyline Chart' is just a silly name invented by people who don't know better for a stacked histogram, or more likely a confusing name invented by an 'expert' to con more fees out of people who don't know better - they've been around since 1865. 

If the chart is developed manually or in a graphics tool you can add a lot of extra data to the vertical sections of the bars but this is not generally feasible from within scheduling tools. One example I used in the 1980s is on page 12 of the paper at: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF_Papers/P106_Seeing_The_Road_Ahead_PMOZ.pdf (but we never called these 'skyline charts' they were just quick ways to draw a PDM schedule.