Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Takt planning in OPC

No replies
Roy André
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 16 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Earlier I used Asta Powerproject to make "takt plans". Powerproject enabled me to split the gantt bar and connect the start the succeeding activity after gantt split. I have not been able to figure out how to do this n OPC. Is anyone familiar with how to do this?

Here is a link to a typical "takt plan": https://images.app.goo.gl/kfJPgQgSRGSRnYbm8if you want to see the concept.

Best regards

Roy 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

If you need strict enforcement of contiguous performance point-to-point relationships can enforce it preventing an undesired result. As expected project will be delayed in order to meet the resource constraints and continuous performance requirement. A requirement common in manufacturing production lines.

POINT-TO-POINT-CONTINUOUS-PERFORMANCE

Roy André
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 16 hours ago. Offline
Thanks for the replies! I have used it in the past to plan residential projects where apartments are build in seres. It works quite well. I will look more into the “point to point” relations. I am not familiar with those, it might do the trick. If anyone want to discuss takt planning, just send me a DM.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Consider using Point to Point Relationships.

Point-to-Point Dependency - Salute Enterprises

Hoover over and click the images for a better view.

Point-to-Point-Before-Resource-Leveling
Before resource Leveling
Point-to-Point-and-Resource-Leveling

After Resource leveling

Point-to-Point-Relationships

Point to Point Relationships

Best Regards, Rafael

Hi David,

I don't know what is meant by Gantt split. In Spider project it is possible to set any number of dependencies between two activities connecting any points of these activities.

But it is not sufficient for takt planning application. I understood it as crew workloads leveling for synchronizing their productivity.

In many cases it provides better schedules but it is not always necessary.

Similar functionality in Spider Project is called schedule adjustment. When schedule adjustment is applied Spider can automatically increase activity duration (and adjust assigned resource workloads) if it leads to better schedule.

A simple example of the schedule before adjustment:

Drag-before-adjustment

and after adjustment:

Drag-after-adjustment

Schedule duration was optimized by increasing duration of some activity and adjusting assigned resources workload.

This is just simplified example, the number of activities with adjusted duration can be large. At time-location chart the picture is similar to those shown by takt planning sources. This is special case useful in some projects for some activities.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Not seen 'Takt' planning before, I have spent a couple of minutes looking at it. Looks perfect if you have a scope of work defined at too high a level, and can't use resource levelling. I can confirm that relationships in P6 can have a duration lag, but not an earned value lag, or 'from spilt' start. Pretty basic stuff. Cue for Rafeal to come in and demonstrate some magic that Spider can do.............