Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

20 hour shift

5 replies [Last post]
Eric Redding
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Project-teers,

I'm missing a link in my brain and cannot figure out how to create a 20hr shift in "change working time" in MSP 2003.

And, too, how might I create a resource calendar for a 2nd shift that works from 6PM to 4AM?

Thanks,

Eric

Replies

Eric Redding

Hello,  How can I make a 20 hr calendar without having a 1 minute gap?  12A-3A; 7A-5P; 5:01P-12A.  Thanks, Eric

20_hr_calendar.jpg

Eric Redding

Hello I believe that I have sorted it out

Resource 1 works from 7am to5 pm; resource 2 works 5 pm to 3am.

The calendar for resource 1 is straight forward.  For resource 2 in "change working time", I entered 12:00AM to 3:00AM & 5:00PM to 12:00AM (not 5pm to 3am like you'd assume).

For a single 20-hour shift, the entry in "change working time" is 12:00AM to 3:00AM, 7:00AM to 5:00PM then 5:01PM to 12:00AM.

Not intuitive but it works.

Eric

Eric Redding

Hello,

Here's what I want to do:  I want to schedule a 20 hour task that starts 7AM.  I have 2 resources able to work 10 hour shifts.  One will work from 7AM to 5PM and the other 5PM to 3AM.

I need the task to show a start of 7 AM and a finish the following morning at 3 AM.

I can configure the first resouce calendar but cannot configure the second.  Please advise and thanks,  Eric

Eric Redding

Thank you Ellen,

My brain re-engaged after I posted my question and I was able to use 12PM to 8PM for the 20 hour shift duration.  I looked at the night shift and decided I didn't like how it portrayed the tasks I wanted the visibility of 2-10hour shifts working back-to-back.  12PM to 8PM worked fine.

Best to all,

Eric

Ellen Lehnert, Mi...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

You are normal is you can't figure this out.  MS Project calendars do not handle going past midnight which might be your problem.  All time must exist during a specific day.  For example:  if you want a shift that starts at 11 PM and ends at 7PM the next day your calendar would look like:

12 AM - 7PM and 11Pm - 11:50 pm

You would apply this to any base calendar which can be used as a project, task or resource calendar. 

By the way you might want to look at the values in the Night shift calendar which is part of every version of MSP.