Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Any formula gurus?

15 replies [Last post]
Craig Adams
User offline. Last seen 12 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Fellow Asta Planners,

Trying to learn formulas in Asta, anyone taught themselves how to do this without slitting their wrists?

What is the formula coding language closest to Asta's - where best to learn?

Thank you in anticipation.

Replies

Andrew Willard
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Derek,

You can search on "formulas" and look for an article titles "Working with formulas", or you can use the "go to article number" on the bottom of the search box to go straight to it (article number 1634).

Regards

Andrew

Derek Miller
User offline. Last seen 1 year 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Andrew

Where could this be found within 'Knowledgebase' ?

Regards

Derek

Derek Miller

Andrew

Where could this be found within 'Knowledgebase' ?

Regards

Derek

Andrew Willard

Hi All,

This will be posted today to the knowlege base

Regards

Andrew

Derek Miller

Andrew

I agree with Mike, is it not possible to add the manual to asta 'Knowledge base' ?

Regards

Derek

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Andrew

Why not add it as an Asta web download?

Best regards

Mike T.

Andrew Willard

Hi Jan,

I ahve sent you the manual

Regards

Andrew

Jan Berg
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 hours ago. Offline

Hi Andrew,

This works for me too. Thanks.

I suppose Asta has made a manual with de formulae. Why does Asta not publish such a manual? Now it is to much trail and error. 

Regards,

Jan

Andrew Willard

Hi Mike,

Yes I guess Richard alluded to that in his comment before.

I have created a mini training manual that takes you through the basics and principals of formulas. If you would like a copy please email me.

Once you have grasped the basics the rest is easier although the more complex thye get the more you need to remember algebra from school!

I guess the complexity is a trade off against functionality. Try doing what we can offer in some of our competitors!

Thanks

Andrew

Mike Testro

Hi Andrew

How are we poor mortals supposed to know that?

In the next upgrade can we have a simplified formula entry dialogue - something on the lines of the revised filter system.

One more thought - how about a thread on Powerproject upgrade wish list?

Best regards

Mike T.

Andrew Willard

Hi Jan,

This works for me. Just replace your code library ID's

If(Text(Task.TaskCodeLibrary(9686, 0, na)) = text(Task.TaskCodeLibrary(9687, 0, na)), Low, High)

Regards

Andrew

Jan Berg
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 hours ago. Offline

Hi Richard,

Is it possible to compare two taskcodes from two different librairies? The two librairies are identical. Librairy A represents the actual status and librairy B represents the wanted status at the last day of the year. When the codes are the same a priority is low, otherwise high. Is it possible to make a formula in PP to avoid exporting my report to Excel? 

This formula does work but does not give the expected result;

if(TaskCodeLibrary(1174, 0, na) = TaskCodeLibrary(1223, 0, na), low, high)

Probably the result of expression TaskCodeLibrary(1174, 0, na) is not the represented name (na?) in a column.

1174 is the id of the Library. What is the meaning of the number "0" and "na" and what are the possible values? What is the result of this code?

Regards

Jan Berg

Richard Pleace
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi All

There are a number of formulae shipped with the template projects that provide some quite sophisticated examples of how the formulae can be used. You can view these in the library explorer in the "formula" library by looking at their properties dialog.

The help file also provides some good examples of how the formula can be used in the "Sample formulae" section and this is well worth a read.

To avoid disappointment I should point out that formulae do not modify any values in APP. So you cannot modify the end date of a task by adding 21 days to it but you can show what the end date of the task with 21 days added to it might be. You would do this, as Peter mentioned in his earlier reply, by adding a new formula column and then getting the formula to add the period you want onto the Finish field:

Finish+'21d'

If you wanted to add an elapsed period, say an elapsed week, to show when curing might be over you'd do the following:

Finish+'1ew'

Having said all that we are aware that the formula functionality is complicated - a side effect of the fact that formulae are intended to provide access to almost everything in the product and so allow maximum flexibility across the whole of the user community. So to try and help a bit more there will be some revisions to the help file in the future to give more of a walkthrough of how to create formulae. We also intend to provide more example formulae in the template projects so if anyone has any requests for formulae that they think would be useful please let us know and we'd be more than happy to include them.

Regards

Richard Pleace
Asta Development

Peter Gallagher
User offline. Last seen 12 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike

To do formula for what you want just add a formula

finish+'3w'

When you the add a column with the field for your new formula you will get this date against every activity - not sure how to filter to only specific activities

Regards

Peter G

Mike Testro

Hi Craig

I have just had a look at the formula creation system in Library and you are right it is a nightmare.

I just tried to add 21 days to the end date of a task to replicate an approval period - couldn't do it.

Maybe ASTA can simplify it in v 12.

Meanwhile if we have a 21 day approval period I will stick to adding a bar.

Maybe Mr Willard can pick up the thread or Tekin can tell us.

Best regards

Mike Testro