Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Custom Formula Required

4 replies [Last post]
Stephen Magill
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

anyone know what i would use to get a custom colum displaying week numbers?

i need to display the week numbers from 1st Monday in March up to 52 then start again from 1 the following year.

I cant use the date zero as a reference as it is being used to rescheule the project and is roughly 24 weeks from the 1st March.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen

Replies

Stephen Magill

Thanks for the reply Mike,

Much appreciated. Was looking to use the formula fuction within asta to preform the same task but transfering it into excell and back again saves me work.

If you come across and example to make asta do it, forward it on for future reference.

Thanks again,

Stephen 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Stephen

If you cannot get Asta to automate the formula  then this is what you do.

1.  Set up a user field in Asta for Numbers called Week_Nr.

2.  In a blank excell spreadsheet in cell C1 type Date and in D1 type week nr.

3.  In c2 type the date 1st Mar 2010 and in c3 type +c3+7 and copy for 52 weeks.

4.  In d2 type 1 and fill the range down to week 52 so you have a number in each cell in column d.

5.  Give the range of dates and number a name such as weeknr

6.  Copy your start dates from Asta and paste into column I.

7.  If the time data has come with it then in column H type the formula =(left,f2,10) or however many digits there are on the date format before the time data starts.

8.  In Column F type the formula =value(f2) and format it to a date configuration.

9.  In column E type the formula =vlookup(+f2,$weeknr,2) and the appropriate week number will be extacted.

10. copy and paste these numbers to your user fiield.

11. When you have different start dates just repeat action 6 and 10.

As Alexandre says - Seemples.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Stephen Magill

Hi Mike,

Yeah i need to set up an automaticly completed column (user field) which looks at the start of a task and outputs which week number it is if week 1 is the 1st monday of march.

I can do all this manually but if the programme gets moved by 4 weeks i have to go in and change every task. i want asta to do it.

I cant change my 'date zero' as its curently set at 'start on site' and i have -22 weeks of preconstruction activites which count down to date zero and need to be displayed as such. if i set my date zero as 1st of march, it confuses the issue as a preconstruction activity which was originally shown as -5 weeks now becomes week 24 or something. i basically need to show both and the only way i can think of doing it is using a fromula.

An example would be the tax year starts on the 1st of April so week 1 would be 1st april and wee 52 would be last week in march. there must be some formaula you can use which outputs this without having to change my date zero.

any ideas?

Stephen

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

HI Stephen

Week number of what? The columns relate to each bar - do you mean week nr for start or finish of the task?

You can set a week number in the date zone row and set week 1 to your required date but I do  not thing you can start at nr 1 again after set duration.

You can of course set up such a system on a spreadsheet and copy/paste it into a user field.

Best regards

Mike Testro