Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Advice on planning/power etc

3 replies [Last post]
A Hill
User offline. Last seen 17 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi guys,

Newbie but was recommended this website by another member and am hoping for some decent advice.

I’m not a planning engineer but am very interested in the sector. I took a BSc in Physics and did 2 years in semiconductor process engineering. I then did materials R&D for 2 years where I did some project planning for prototype work, mainly low level MSProject. I enjoyed the PM more than the science at any rate.

I’ve now finished 2 years Operations/Maintenance training in nuclear sector. I have an Operations gig lined up (control room, SAP, DAP progression route) but have a possible chance at Planning. I just wonder if anyone could comment on the longevity of planning and its opportunities vs Operations.....

Is Planning all about fighting with software because I enjoy the interaction with crews, contractors etc.

Sorry for the Jackanory, hope you can help.

Cheers
Hils

Replies

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, y’all.

Good general advice from all concerned.

Nuclear sector is currently very good, with excellent long-term prospects for station work. In fact you could probably stay in this sector for the rest of your working life. My contacts say that there is virtually a shortage of station-planners. If on contract, you could get lots of money. However, I understand that the systems, both software and working procedures, can often be excruciatingly slow and inflexible (one colleague took two hours to download a programme). Predominantly P3 based software. With all due respect, though, I have heard that there an awful lot of "planners" on site who, euphemistically speaking, lack many of the basic skills.

James.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Having completed a couple of planning jobs in the Nuclear industry, I can confirm the longevity of the industry along with the need for suitably qualified and experienced planners or project managers.

As you already have a very good qualification, followed by the operations training etc, the "gig" should be a chance to build up your career. Hopefully you will be able to understand the plant, process, routines, systems, etc and most importand make contacts with the personnel from operators to managers etc.

If in the future you move into planning or perhaps project management this background will stand you in very good stead.

As for "fighting software", unfortunatly a lot of the planning job is software orientated these days, not like when I was a lad - over 30 years ago. I have found over the years once you are up to speed on one system another will come along and you start again - but that is life.

A good idead would be to keep an eye out for any planning courses that your employee may make available i.e. any Primavera courses.

Best of luck m8

John
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi A,
You have a fairly stiff Hill to walk. You sound if you have a bent towards planning, but a bit of practical experience is a great help. You either have the computor skills, or the discipline skills, but you have to learn both, the easier skills to learn is the computor skils. The discipline skills are learnt by experience, and learnt only with time, and where you spend that time. These skills are picked up from good mentors and timeon the workface. Give yourself a few years working and learning, and when you feel ready, come back to planning. It is a good field, but do not commit yourself without the right experience, or mentors
Hope this is of help