Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning opp. in ZA - Advice

13 replies [Last post]
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
To all PP’ers in South Africa,

My company is going to construct a cement plant in ZA, I’ve the choice to go their and work as a senior planner.

What I understand is that we’ll have a camp for living in (due to security reasons I guess).

I wonder if someone can advise me with the market conditions out there (salaries, cost of living, security staff, ...etc).

Thanx.

Replies

Karim Mounir
Hi Charlie,

It is the company that I am working in who will move to South Africa to construct this cement plant.
I’m stuck with them, they constructed & completed a cement plant in UAE and they now turn to South Africa.

That’s why I’ve been asking for info regarding living in South Africa.

It is true that UAE is a magnet for planners from all over the world, but the point here is: will this construction boom that attracts all these planner lasts for long?, for me I doubt it.

Regards,
Karim
John Baldwin
User offline. Last seen 13 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Chareleston

I am not sure if you have ever worked in South Africa. I have a lot of Canadian expats that love it here in South Africa and others from all over the world on my current project. In round numbers we have about 150 here on the project I am on and 90% of them have signed up for another 2 year contract.

Yes crime is a problem but not that it effects everyday life, you just have to be sensible with what you do.

One of the reasons you have lots of South Africans in the UAE is because its a global market and we get offered very good money to go work in the UAE and its tax free money.

A number of South African companies are also doing work in UAE like the company I work for.

All the Best
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Karim,

Actually, I wonder why you even consider the options.

The South Africans are comming to UAE because there is really somthing here in UAE.

The criminality in South Africa is so bad, I wonder also why people go there.

If your present salary is X, then the salary offer must be 5X, less than that, there is really no point to even think of going there.

Cheers,
John Baldwin
only a pleasure
Karim Mounir
Thanks John, You really helped a lot.
John Baldwin
Hi Karim

I sent you a PM, Planners are scarce hear so you can afford to be a bit fussy. Send me an email.
Karim Mounir
They’ll organize the world cup for football in 2010 too, so they should be exceptionally fluffy :-)

Quite right, government control varies between adjusting countries in Africa (ie. Rep. of the Congo & Democratic Rep. of the Congo), it can also change within the same country (ie. Uganda).

What I don’t know is whether the situation in ZA is the same or not, and sadly our site location will be near to South Africa-Botswana borders (around 15kms).

Maybe someone living in ZA can advice.

Thanks a lot for your info.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
RSA just won the world cup rugby. They’ll be fluffy and safe for a while ;)

My experience in Africa (Tanzania, not RSA) is that camp living for expats is a part of live, mostly due to the crushing poverty. Frankly, that 10 dollar watch you wear is worth a month’s salary to some so it’s a little bit difficult to blame them for being desperate enough to want it. Thus, muggings are commonplace and best avoided by going out with very little money, no jewelry, no camera etc. That said, violent mugings, that go beyond someone taking your watch are much less common, from what I understand (I have friends who have been in Africa > 10yrs) but regions and countries will vary. Sadly camp living can lead to a sense of isolation and dislocation, which is why I didn’t stay in tanzania (enjoying my time as I did).

In 15 years in various parts of SE Asia I never once worried about my personal security, sadly this is not the reality in large parts of Africa (again, I can’t speak directly about RSA, which is statistically richer than most African nations and so perghaps better, but then perhaps worse...). That said, my understanding of the current political situation in RSA is that it is stable. Best people to contact for further details, or indeed region specific advice, would be your own embassy.

So; on a micro level I’d say be careful and follow the advice of the people around you wrt personal safety, be wary and sensible and you’ll likely be OK. On a macro level Check with your embassy about the specific area you’re thinking of moving to, but chances are it’s OK if it’s in RSA and away from borders.
Karim Mounir
Project location : Mafikeng - North West province
I manged to locate it on Google Earth, seems to be a quite place.
As for living cost, I found an online hypermarket website, I also checked the World Health Organization (WHO) website regarding different diseases there.

Now what I want to ask is it safe there or not (is there any trouble or it is under full government control)?
Karim Mounir
No news, bad news (I think)!
Karim Mounir
Hi Chris,

Maybe I’m a little bit hasty in this subject but the point is I’m used to get immediate replies in this lovely PP.

Indeed I got a private message from a member mentioning an hourly rate but I need more than this, as listed in the post #1.

Anyway I’ve waiting and I’m still waiting for a reply.

Thanx.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Crumbs Karim!

Give people a chance, you only posted your original query a couple of days ago. If you want someone to give you advice about conditions in South Africa, you could try a private message to Philip Jonker. He’s a guy with a great deal of experience, he’s based in South Africa and he’s approachable and helpful. Drop him a line and see what he says.

Regards

Chris Oggham
Karim Mounir
Promising, very promising
365 members and no reply ??