Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Career Advice needed

3 replies [Last post]
Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 9 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am a planning engineer for a small-medium size contractor in England. I started as a "Junior Planner" a year ago which I thought involved having guidance from a Planner or someone more senior than me. However when joined I was the only one in the department which was a bit of a surprise considering this was my first job out of uni.

I work in various departments within the company and only spend 50-60% of the time creating tender/construction/finishing programme’s at best with little to no assistance/guidance. I have never been on site to see any work actually being carried out or even should how to read schedules/drawings etc. I have pretty much thought myself how to use ASTA which I am pretty adept at by this stage. We mainly use the plans to ascertain the project duration at tender stage & report progress. I occasionally use baseline for as-builts however I can use this feature and many others. We do not create resource & cost loaded programmes however I have created resource histogram's when I find the time for tender interviews.

Thing is I enjoy planning & want to progress myself and leave the other roles I carryout behind me. I have never had any communication with other planner so I am clueless as to how to go about this, so I would appreciate some advice. I imagine I need to move to a larger blue chip firm which value planner and where I could learn from senior planners. 

There are several variations to the planner including junior, intermediate, assistant planner, planning assistant & planner etc. Does anyone have any advice on which role I would best suit given my inexperience in direct planning & site experience, where I could get this? I enjoy my job and love the people I work with I just feel that should anything happen to the firm or if I need to move I wont have the experience to pass an interview!

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mark,

There is no standardised definition of the various planning job titles, but given you currently have 50-60% of 1 years’ experience in a planning role and have never been to site, I would pitch you as a junior or assistant planner.

Mike is right in that it sounds as though you won’t progress very far up the ladder with your current firm, but before switching to a different job I would advise you get as much out of your current role as you can to make you more attractive to future employers:

1. When you create tender/construction/finishing programmes, I presume someone else gives you the information to put into Asta? If so, pick their brains –why this duration? Why this logic? Why this construction method? Etc
  2. Discuss with your employer about spending time on site. This is really important for your development, and will also make you better at your day job, so they might be amenable. Maybe you could propose doing an extra 1hr a day Mon - Thu, to clear your desk Fri so you are free to visit site. If you do get to site, spend your time shadowing the guys at the coal face & asking stupid questions.  This can be annoying for the site guys, but a good way to keep them on your side is to bribe them with bacon butties.
  3. If your current job is permanent one, there might be a training budget you could call on. Look into starting the path towards CIOTB or APM accreditation (or the Guild of Project Controls, once it gets off the ground). Also get yourself a CSCS card.

You don’t mention what you studied at uni, but if you have a degree in a related subject (engineering, project management or construction) then this will be a big plus for future employers.

When you do look for your next role, I would strongly advise trying to find a junior planner / planning assistant role where you will be working with an experienced planner, and based on site. This will probably mean one of the larger construction or consultancy firms. I disagree with Mike about it being a good thing that you are self-taught. I think the chances that you pick up bad habits without even realising it are much higher if you don’t have an experienced planner guiding you in the first few years of your career.

Finally it’s worth mentioning that someone like you who can use the software but doesn’t have much idea about how the work is actually done on the field is often called a “software jockey” in the trade. There are a lot of them about, and it’s not uncommon to see them calling themselves planners or senior planners, and charging £300 - £400 a day in the UK on contract. Employers are slowly starting to realise they are being fleeced so I think (hope) their days are numbered –don’t go down this route for a fast buck.          

Good luck!

G

Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 9 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Will do. I have already signed up with Gold Group but hadnt heard of Project Reource of which I am a new member so thatnks again for the info! I hope I can find my place soon.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Mark

It is good that you are self taught as you will not have been indoctrinated with planning abominations that infect the industry.

Have a look at the thread "Ban these planning abomiinations" and you will get my drift.

You will need to join a larger company and get some site experience with some mud on your boots.

A position that requires you to visit several sites will be ideal.

You need to get a lot of experience in the construction process before you can move up the ladder.

A planner knows how to build things - a scheduler works the software - some people can do both but not many.

Look at the PP jobs site and register with some of the agencies - Gold and Project Resource are sound people.

Good luck

Mike Testro