Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cost Loading the Schedule

9 replies [Last post]
Dost Hyd
User offline. Last seen 11 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I would like to cost load the schedule. I do not want to cost load it based on units/time. I want to give an activity a Lump Sum Budgeted Cost. Get a cost curve to see how much we would be spending per month.

I have created a Non-labor Resource called Budget and physically typed in the Budgeted cost. That is the only way I knew. But, I guess that is not very effective.

Can any one tell me the best way to cost load a schedule and obtain a cash curve?

Thanks Much.

Dost.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Alex this will not work if they already have been set up that way. What you have to do is get rid of this setting for each activity that uses that resource that has calcuale cost from units checked. 

To do this go to

tools Global change and add  a new global change

uptop under the Select Subject Area chang this to Activity Resource Assignments

where calculate costs from units equal Yes

then calculate costs from units = No

then on the right select change then comitt changes

Alex Fernandez
User offline. Last seen 7 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still looking the trick is to tell primavera to look at a budgeted sum rather than a budgeted cost per unit. Assign your resource as normal, got to the resource tab and make sure the "Calculate costs from units" column is showing and untick the box. Then enter your budgeted cost/at complete cost in the relavent field and Primavera will look at this rather than unit costs

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dost (=Deepak?)

It isn'T that difficult as you may believe:

- Expenses can only be assigned to existing activities

- You'll need to attach at least one expense to an activity

- You'll create an export file, type "Expenses"; it might be helpful to export the type Activities as well.

- In Excel you'll duplicate the records, without any modification of the format

- You'll add the information, watch the activity_ID!

- You'll import that file again and the expenses should be added automatically

Good luck

Dieter

Dost Hyd
User offline. Last seen 11 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks all for replying.

I have used both expenses and costs. Expenses is not the best way to cost load a thousand activity Schedule. ( I could not find a import from xcel option for this. I had to manually type in each expense).

That said, Using a non- labor resource is the easiest way. But, I am unable to produce a curve for this resource. Is there any one who can help me with producing curves please?

Thanks,

Deepak.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dost

It depends on how you use costs for the other projects within your database and on your needs for reporting. P6 allows both:

- Expenses (=costs which are independent from resources): at start or finish of each activity, or even distributed over activity's duration.

- Attached to a special resource (labour or nonlabour). You'll have to set "Rate Source" = "override".

If you'll use detailed or summary (LoE or WBS) activities depends on your requirements for granularity of cost planning - I prefer on activity level.

Good  luck for your plan

Dieter

AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Use expense tab and Add the activity cost directly there.

Syed Abrar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

HI all,

we are also using in similar fashion, as u said that on non-Labour resorce as Budget or some name then uploading the Budgeted cost for that particular activity.

But in primavera there is a option called cost accounts in Entrerprises of  Toool bar drop down menu. It seems similar like activity code.

if some one has got any idea please reply to me too.

Syed Abrar

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Dost

In Asta PowerProject I put the cost in the appropriate summary bar,

Best regards

Mike Testro

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

use "Expenses"; it is not the best way, but it might work for you