Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Print Calendars

22 replies [Last post]
Kari Lucas
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
....and one more question (last one!). Is there any way to print the calendars from P6? I have been asked to do this several times by project managers and it really seems like there should be a way but I have never found it.
Thanks!

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 19 min ago. Offline

An alternate way is to use hammocks that span all project duration, use necking, and display them on your Gantt. Non-work days and holidays will show no work. In this way you will have a visual that moves with your Gantt.

Activity 1 displays Calendar 1, Activity 2 displays Calendar 2 and Activity 3 displays Calendar 3.

Calendars

If the purpose of printing calendars is to be able to check on unreported calendar changes I suggest transferring the files to P3 and use the software to print your calendars as well as to make Digger file comparison that can look for calendar differences.

Photobucket

Another option available to look for Calendar changes is Update Checker from Ron Winter's Schedule Analyzer Enterprise.

Photobucket

I like the idea of being able to compare individual fields available in the new version of Digger embedded in P6 but still misses some of the functionality and ease of use of old Digger Software.

Tim Readman
User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Yes you can add public holidays, EID, non working days whatever with a legend, colour, symbol, letter up to 3 characters. If oyu put in too many it becomes a bit messy. Working weeks is very useful

Tim

Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Tim

Thanks,It works fine.

Is it Possible to Show legend (Non Working Day,Eid) in PDF.

Regards

Anbin

Tim Readman

Kari,

Yes the problem of printing a calendar from P6 , I have often be askked for this as well but now  there is now a soloution by using comviz

http://comviz.com.au/ 

Comviz Calendar automatically calculates working days depending on the start day. These days do not include non-working days from Oracle Primavera P6 and the days marked as non-working. You can assign different colors and labels for the calendar days in order to create sofisticated calendars. 

Regards

Tim

Rafael Davila

Mike,

You said, "In Power Project you can make a print of the calendar dialog or as some one suggested do a Print Screen copy into PowerPoint and trim the picture.".

Maybe in Power Project you can select the text from the calendar dialog box and Copy-Paste into a text Editor or MS Word and in no time get the condensed report, better than what 90% of the available software can do.

Best regards,

Rafael

PS. Sorry if my response is kind of delayed but I was out of town during the dates of your postings.

Tim Readman

Kari,

I have had this problem with many projects and so worked with a programmer to make it happen, as Oracle were not interested . perhaps check it out.

You can print a working day calenadr from P6 using a nifty bit of software Comviz

http://comviz.com.au/products/comvizcalendar/ 

Customize

Comviz Calendar automatically calculates working days depending on the start day. These days do not include non-working days from Oracle Primavera P6 and the days marked as non-working. You can assign different colors and labels for the calendar days in order to create sofisticated calendars 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Kari

Don’t worry about Rafael Vladimir and I - we enjoy knocking a few lumps off each other now and then - when the dust settles there may even be a few visible specks of wisdom in the sand.

If you have only 3 or 4 calendars it should not be too difficult set up a spreadsheet with the holidays listed.

In PowerProject you can make a print of the calendar dialogue or as some one suggested do a Print Screen copy into powerpoint and trim the picture.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Kari Lucas
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for all the responses on this! From the sound of the discussion, it seems to be a somewhat contentious topic. I don’t have a lot of claims experience, but have had many situations when someone on the project wants to see exactly what holidays and exceptions are scheduled for each month of the project. I am not even talking about resource calendars here, just an overall view. The schedules I’ve been working on have 3-4 calendars at most. But I have received this request quite a few times and it just seems there should be a quick way to do this. I will try the resource histogram that was suggested. Even if there were a quick way to print out all the holidays and exceptions for each calendar would be helpful.
Rafael Davila
Mike,

P6 was developed not by Primavera but another developer and was geared for the IT industry, if you read my last posting you would read about calendars for named resources, not uncommon for IT jobs. I have seen similar concern for named resources by some subcontractors like those subcontracted for the programming of controls in water plants. Yes named resources are not common in construction jobs but at times they get into the picture.

Even for the few calendars that Vladimir says, similar to what I use, we still must consider the calendars particular of our subcontractors and suppliers. For hundreds of equipment and materials supplied by Continental US Suppliers we must consider their usual Christmas shutdown, each with a shutdown schedule of their own, same for our local suppliers. Not only resources but activities are assigned particular calendars as to take into account weather. We have some crews that because of religion do not work on Saturdays and this also must be considered.

Even when for a few calendars it is kind of ridiculous having to print whole calendars or its equivalent using resource histograms. How would you compare updates calendars to make sure scoundrels are not doing their thing?

Best regards,
Rafael
In my country it is usual working in shifts on building construction. Staff resources are assigned to hammocks but still require their own calendars. Concrete was not supplied on Sundays at that project.
We usually calculate costs in our schedules and thus need to calculate resource hours not only for driving resources.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

Apart from Curing which is on a 24/7 calendar the others are not necessary on a normal building programme where an 8 or 9 hour day shift is normal.

If you are on and accelerated shift work contract then I agree more calendars and the associated work patterns are needed but this would be the exception.

You only need to put specific calendars on driving resources - staff resources etc are best added to summary bars or hammocks.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Hi Mike,
I looked at the building project and found following calendars:
1) First Shift
2) Second Shift
3) Management Staff,
4) Machines
5) Concreting First Shift
6) Concreting Second Shift
7) Curing
8) External Painting
But resources were not named.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

I think you are getting a bit beyond yourself.

Ali is in the Building sector where more than one calendar is unusual.

I use two occasionally - 1 for wet weather and another for inside work.

Hundreds of Calendars in Building? Never ever known it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Ali,

Doing this procedure for hundreds of calendars when using named resources, each with a calendar of its own, not uncommon on IT Jobs, is kind of insane. Anyway printing the resource histogram for every calendar even for a few calendars is ridiculous. There’s got to be a better way.

Best Regards,
Rafael

P.S. Save the trees.
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 14 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kari,

Create a labor resource and assign it to an activity "level of effort" that extends over the whole project. Assign the calendar you want to print to the resource and then print the resource profile of this labor showing timescale by day.
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

I never did get to install P6 on my desktop or my laptop - complete waste of time and money.

Scoundrels will always try to distort an EoT claim if they think they can get away with it.

The most significant recent case in England was Great Eastern Hotels v Laing Management.

In the original programme there was a link between scaffolding temporary roof and weathertight.

In the EoT programme there was no such link.

The original programme was in a defunct software called Hornet but the Great Eastern expert was able to find a copy of the old software and investigate the original.

Since I have invented most of the EoT tricks I am well placed to discover them - I was not involved in the above case - too bleedin obvious.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Rafael Davila
Mike,

I still believe the ORACLE guy who missed it is kind of incapable of understanding the needs of the users. At least show me some Excel print outs of the calendars from P6, got to be a piece of cake, such simple task should take you less than a couple of minutes. Same as a P6 installation you are expert with.

Because weeks ago you was into installing P6 I am assuming you already know P6 and figure it out P6 excellent report generator could not provide us with a report on calendar days. Please prove me wrong as the infatuation with ORACLE/Primavera products in this side of the Atlantic will eventually, at gun point, force me to use this software I have been able to avoid for approximately nine years when P3e was released, there has been no improvement since.

What if for an EOT claim I temporarily delete or create some holidays for a resource calendar as to make the difference into my favor and then I eliminate the changes. I can change holidays for an activity not connected by logic but using a resource that might drive the schedule under resource leveling, a very unsuspicious activity. How you can detect it on P6? I assume Digger got to be very good at it in the lack of a report on calendars. Then P6 Digger report on calendar changes must be exceptional. Can you post a P6 Digger report showing changes in work/non-work days, work hours and so on?

Best Regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

I repeat -

"You can then sort it and print in whatever way you wish."

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

It is easier if you give different months vacations to each of your 10 employees, add one month for plant shut down if a job at a plant and then merge all calendars into one, you will have to print only one month.

If I ask you what days you are off, are you going to send me a whole year print out, come on. Sorry but not being able to print only days off is kind of stupid.

Calendars

Calendar Exceptions

You got from April 1 to Jan 2 of next year every 2 years, not bad, better than my Holly Week.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Kari

Another way is to put a "Calendar" column in the spreadsheet section and copy the data to excell.

You can then sort it and print in whatever way you wish.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
You should be able to print normal work week and work hours, then calendar exceptions, printing calendars is inefficient, insane, and nuts.

Just imagine a P6 portfolio with 10 named resources each with its own vacations and days off.

Well here you can cheat as it will be difficult to find out.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Kari,
Unfortunately no options of printing calendar from P6. The work around is to print screen every month of calendar and paste it to MSWORD or MSEXCEL then print.