Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6.1 automatic resource assignment

5 replies [Last post]
Roozbeh Taheri
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everyone,

in p6 schedule I have:

1 - Four resources each with their own calendars
2 - Each resource is capable of doing certain tasks (e.g. activity 1 can be done by resource A and B, activity 2 by resource B,C, and D, etc.)

is it possible to have p6 to pick up a resource austomatically from a list of available resources for each activity?

Replies

Hi Roozbeh,
it is called skill scheduling and can be easily done in Spider Project (even in Lite version).
If you need this but still need to use P6 you have an option to calculate the schedule using Spider Project and then export the schedule with already selected resources to P6.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Roozbeh,
As Rodel says, the software is not capable of doing this as an autmatic function.

However, use of the role structure whereby you set up roles based on the resource skill or ability to perform the range of tasks may provide you with the ability to choose a resource by role (Only issue is you have to assign the role requirements to the activity as well).

I have used ’Parent’ or ’Pool’ type resources in the past and asigned these using the global change function, looking for various codes and/or UDF’s. This makes for great flexibility going forward but takes a lot of set up and planning how you will develop code structures.

Andy
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Roozbeh,
Are you looking for a resource levelling?
Even in resource levelling you need to assigned all 3 resources and software will tell you if over allocated or available or software will level the resource for you using resource availability.

If I understand you correctly the answer is NO. Resources can be assigned only manually or programmatically using API.
Roozbeh Taheri
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rodel,

there are 3 resources capable of doing an activity.
instead of asigning resource A or B or C, can we define for P6 to choose one of them base on their availability?
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Roozbeh,

I’m not sure what you are trying to do. For your info P6 cannot assign resource automatically unless you write programs that will automatically assigned resources to every activity. I believed all planning softwares are having same approach of manually assign resource to activity.