Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual Units exceed Data Date

5 replies [Last post]
Rifky Soedirdja
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

I don’t understand why actual units for some activities in my P6 are exceeding the data date? For example, I put data date on 01-May-10 08.00 to capture the progress for weekending 24-30 April 2010 17.00. But, when I see through resource usage spreadsheet, I can still see some unit manhours on the 1st-May-10. I am expecting to see the total remaining units from 1-May-10 until end of project. Can somebody help? Thanks.

Rgds,

Rifky

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Rifky,
Please check your actual start date. You may accidentally progress some activities on 1st May 2010.
Rifky Soedirdja
Rodel,

This activity status is not yet completed.It is still in progress. That’s why I was wondering coz when I put data date on 30-Apr, the actual units is moving beyond the data date for some activities i.e 1-May. I would like to show you the snapshot of the Resource Usage Spreadsheet, but I don’t know how to attach here.

One more thing, with regards to Data Date, I don’t have any comments about this as I am still new in Planning. So, if you have any advice or suggestion regarding this matter, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rgds,

Rifky
Rodel Marasigan
Rifky,
I don’t have any comment to that trainer if that what he believe but I can prove you that is wrong specially if you are using multiple calendar.

Anyway back to your problem.
If you still have 1st May 2010 actual on resource usage spreadsheet then check all your activities that already completed. Some of them might have 1st May 2010 even your data date is 30 Apr 2010. You should see the blue bar exceeding the data date.

Another reason why I disagree on data date on the start of the day is because it is difficult to check if you have actual finished on 1st May 2010 if data date is same as start of the day.
Rifky Soedirdja
Hi Rodel,

I just refer to this link when putting the Data Date.
http://primaveratrain.blogspot.com/2008/08/using-data-date-in-primavera-...

It is mentioned there, "Always assume that the data date starts the workperiod; the data date can be the beginning of the hour, day, week, or month. Work accomplished on the data date is not included because it is the beginning of the period."

However, even I use data date on 30-Apr-10 17.00, I still can see the actual units manhours on the 1st-May-10 on the Resource Usage Spreadsheet.

Fyi also, I use 8 hrs/day calendar starts from 08.00 - 17.00. (12.00-13.00 is break time). First day of week is Saturday. Thanks.

Rgds,

Rifky
Rodel Marasigan
Rifty,
Your data date should be 30 Apr 2010 17:00 and not 1st May 2010 8:00 because Global Default calendar and or Activity Calendar may start at 6:00AM. Cut off should be end of the day not start of the start of the day.