Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Resources Assignment from Excel

20 replies [Last post]
Abdel Rashid Nosair
User offline. Last seen 12 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Why does primavera read resources imported from excel as Labour although it is defined in primavrea as material and specified in excel in resource type as material as well

i want to import resources from excel to activities in primavera, every time i import i find in the price/unit field this symbol 0^ and primavera deals with it as labour

i came to know that becuase i found that the budgeted cost equals budget units * price/unit * 8 hours/day(working hours/day)
that means that the price/unit is actualy price/hr although i have defined this resource as Material and its unit of measure as each in both primavera & the excel sheet i’m iporting to primavera

Can someone help please

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I wrote an article regarding What does The Asterisk (*) Symbol next to the Resource Price/Unit in Primavera P6 mean?

If you're interested, kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/06/22/what-does-the-asterisk-symbol-next-to-the-resource-priceunit-in-primavera-p6-mean/

Cheer.

Kenny Monroyo
User offline. Last seen 11 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

To All Planning expert,

I am new in Primavera 6 and I encounter problems same with Abdel, I search in google and I come with this forums. I think this conversation is incomplete and not solve the exact problems thats why I would ask what would be the best solutions. My problem is same that when I am importing resources assignments from excel to p6 it appears that all of my resources(materials and non labor) change to labour (you can tell by the symbol). It is the same resources that exported before and I try to use in other activities. Maybe this time I can expect for the best answer.

Regards,

Kenny

Kenny Monroyo
User offline. Last seen 11 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

To All Planning expert,

I am new in Primavera 6 and I encounter problems same with Abdel, I search in google and I come with this forums. I think this conversation is incomplete and not solve the exact problems thats why I would ask what would be the best solutions. My problem is same that when I am importing resources assignments from excel to p6 it appears that all of my resources(materials and non labor) change to labour (you can tell by the symbol). It is the same resources that exported before and I try to use in other activities. Maybe this time I can expect for the best answer.

Regards,

Kenny

Salar Al Zubaidi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Good Day Arnold Puy and Good day all,

I need your help!

I am using P6v7.0 and I have made a resource "Labor" with Unit/Time 1, Price 1, as weighting factor, I have done my job in regarding the project weights depend on discipline cash flow i.e. mobilisation is 1.3% of the project Procurement is 47.88% of the project etc,... now I need to upload these percentage in the programme that’s why I have create this dummy resource to weight the activities, bearing in mind that I don’t’ have any other resources been used for this project, it’s the weighting resource is the primary, my intention is to gain an accurate percentage of actual vs. plan in weekly basis using the software and not use the excel.

To cut the story short, I have exported the resource to excel format and have made the changes to the activities (Budgeted unit) as per the exercise that I have made before based on the disciplines mentioned above, my first question is that the sum amount of the overall weighted activities in not 100% why is that! ,and when I import the changed figures to the programme suddenly the overall programme duration has changed and some of the activities original duration changed also and can't return back to its original duration even when try to write it manually, please let me know what can I do, does anyone have the same issue happened to him before.

Regards,

Salar

Dhafer Hamdi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

HI ALL,

I JUST WENT THROUGH YOUR POSTS QUICKLY AND AM FACING THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN AM IMPORTING THE BUDGETED UNIT FROM EXCEL, ANYWAY I THINK IN A WAY OR ANOTHER WE CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

WELL I GOT OTHER ISSUE AM USING MULTIPLE RESOURCES AT THE SAME ACTIVITY WHICH SHOULDN'T WORK SIMULTANEOUSLY SO I WAS THINKING HOW TO SOLVE THIS. I TRIED RESOURCE ORIGINAL LAG AND START AND FINISH DATE I CALCULATED EVERYTHING ON EXCEL BUT AFTER THAT I NOTICED THAT SIGN (*) ON THE RESOURCE ORIGINAL LAG AND START AND FINISH DATES WHICH MEANS I CANT IMPORTE TO PRIMAVERA 6

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN FIX THIS ISSUE

I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

REGARDS,

DHAFER

Sehari Mohamed
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

i'm planner i work in gas oil from 2006 , i think P6 very esey than P3

Dhafer Hamdi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Hi All

Abdel Rashid Nosair
Arnold,

I’m using P6.1

and the best solution i’ve found is to select all the activities you want to assign the resource to then assign the resource to them at once (in Primavera) then export to excel and use the excel to specify the Budeget units only then import again to primavera and it will recognize the resource as material and update the budget unit as you put in excel and calculate the budget cost as per the price/unit that you defined earlier in primavera
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Abdel,

I tried just now and it works fine. Which Primavera Version you are using?

Regards,

Arnold
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Abdel,
Sorry for the late response, I was having my dinner.
I heard about that issue in P6.1 release but the work around is to define another material resource then global change and it should fixed your problem.
Ex: imported material resource = x , create another material resource = xx
Global change:
Resource Id Name = x
then
Resource ID Name = xx
Arnold Puy
Hi Abdel,

If it is okey for you to send me a copy of your schedule (Partially) in order to fix your problem. Send a PM to me.

Regards,

Arnold
Abdel Rashid Nosair
Rodel,Arnold,

My problem have not been solved
I’ve tried whatever you’ve been saying but it still there

If any of you try this he will get the same:

1- define a new material resource X and make price/unit = 1
2- assign this resource to any activity
3- export resource assignments to an excel file
4- assign this resource to another activity (in excel "take resource info copy-paste so you make sure nothing have been changed") and specify Budget units
5- import this file to primavera
6- check the activity you assigned the resource X to
7- you will find the resource is assigned as labour (you can tell from the resource symbol) and the price/unit is 0^ even if you tried to recalculate assignment costs
show the budget cost for this resource ( it should equal bydget units because you already made price/unit = 1 before) but you will recognize that it equals = budget units * 8 (which is working hours/day)

Arnold Puy
Hi Rodel,

In my opinion, each Resources has its own price/unit, now, if the user assigned price/unit = 0 then Primavera will pick up the cost equal to zero. If a resources has a multiple rate, as far as I know, there is an " * " (Asterisk) next to its price/unit.

Now, if you have two or three rates in one resource with different price/unit, Primavera will calculate the default price/unit, this is what I noticed.

Maybe you have some additional information on this and possibly share to us.

Regards,

Arnold

Rodel Marasigan
Arnold,
It is possible if Primavera pick up the rate correctly and not zero rate or both rates are not zero.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Arnold Puy
Hi Rodel,

I know it’s a multiple rate. However, I’ve encountered this kind of problem but it works fine with me whenever I Recalculate Assignment Costs.

Regards,

Arnold
Rodel Marasigan
Arnold,
The meaning of "^" in price/unit is multiple rate available, user need to select which one to use first before Recalculate Assignment Costs if 0 is selected by Primavera (i.e. "0^") otherwise cost will remain zero.
Arnold Puy
Hi Abdel,

Your query was answered by Rodel. With regards to this " 0^ " in the price/unit field for the assigned resource, all you have to do is to go to Tools --> Recalculate Assignment Costs" and select Recalculate.

Regards,

Arnold
Rodel Marasigan
Abdel,
Have you assigned Roles or cost accounts on the define materials or labor? Or does it has a duplicate name under other levels?

Note: Import doesn’t recognise any of those defined in Resource unless you are using SDK which deals on the unique ID.
Abdel Rashid Nosair
Rodel, I know all of this & i already defined this resource as material in the right field
but when i wanted to assign this resource to some activities using excel import it was imported as labour not as material and it doesn’t consider the price/unit i previously defined in the right field in primavera. Instead, it give me this symbol 0^ in the price/unit field for the assigned resource
Rodel Marasigan
Abdel,
Defining Labor, Non-Labor and Materials is separate table in the database. You cannot define those using export/import function in excel unless you are using excel SDK to define resource type. Same thing on Rate per resource cannot be updated using export/ import function. To make sure that user are using the right field to update using export/import function all fields with * sign are not updatable.