Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

orig. dur becomes 0 when i encode budgeted cost

9 replies [Last post]
pat gatus
User offline. Last seen 14 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Guys,

can i ask for your opinion on this matter.. why is it everytime i put budgeted cost on my resource the activity duration changes to 0

thanks,

Pat

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

your default units/time should not be zero because zero divided by anything is zero

also make sure that you duration type is Fixed Durations & Units check this in the Project directors under the Defaults tab. If it is not set to this chaneg it to Fixed Durations & Units.

now add a column and expand the general portion and select duration type.

on the top activity change it in the column to Fixed Durations & Units 

next do a fill down and change all of the activity duration types to Fixed Durations & Units

Jimmy Xie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi guys

Finally, I found out the reason.

the one and the only resource will become the primary resouce, and if this resource is a driving resource, it will drive the duration of this activity.

That's why if the default unit/time of this resource is 0, it will drive the original duration to be 0 also.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy Xie

Hi guys

Finally, I found out the reason.

the one and the only resource will become the primary resouce, and if this resource is a driving resource, it will drive the duration of this activity.

That's why if the default unit/time of this resource is 0, it will drive the original duration to be 0 also.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy Xie

Hi Pat  /Hi guys

I‘m facing exactly the same problem with you now.

After I assign the resource (with 0 default units/time) to activities, the activity original duration become 0.

But the links are there and finish date of whole project seems the same after reschedule, its so confusing.

Can I get some advise? 

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Pat,

The reason why your original duration turns to zero it is because, the Default Units/Time of your resource is set to zero or blank. Try to change it to any value.

Regards,

Arnold
Ian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 14 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
OK, more questions -

1) Do you have the drive activity dates flag turned on for these resource assignments? You can see this in the resouce assignment box.

2) What rate source and rate type are you using for the resource assignment? Again, you can see this in the resouce assignment box.

3) Do you have calculate costs from units turned on for this resource?

4) How many units are you putting in when you assign the BOQ
resource? How many units are there after you change the budgeted cost?

5) What is the cost/time for the rate type you are using?

Ian

http://www.emerald-associates.com
pat gatus

Hi Ian,

oops sorry forgot to answer your question on what type of duration i am using. I tried using the four types like Fixed Duration,Fixed Duration and units per time, fixed units and fixed units per time and i can say that its not the one cause despite changing the type still the activity duration becomes 0.

regards,

Pat
pat gatus

Hi Ian,

to Begin with i created a schedule patterned with my given BOQ... then i am planning on incorporating the amount or cost thgrough resources first i created a resource named Equivalent weight factor and assigned that ressource to all of my activities.. and then after assigning i will then encode the amount on the resource column budgeted cost. but unfortunately after i encode the corresponding cost the activity duration becomes 0...

regards,

Pat
Ian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 14 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Can you provide more information?

What duration type are you using?

Ian

http://www.emerald-associates.com