Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Finish becomes Early Finish After Scheduling.

4 replies [Last post]
Lee Johnson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Ok, this is baffling me.

The schedule is a month behind where we should be, so i try to reflect this accurately within the programme, and this doesnt want to play ball, the Logic within these activities is sound.

Activity X - Submit Document A, Finish Milestone Date: 03rd March (*A*) - (Early Finish Date: 03 Feb)

FS With..........

Activity Y - Document A Review Period: 03rd March (*A*) to 28th March. (Early Start Date: 03 Feb - Early Finish : 28th Feb)

I have applied actual start date, and an expected finish. When i schedule the programme, even though i have an expected finish on Activity Y, it moves the dates back to Early Start / Early Finish, which is ignoring both its own logic (Starting before its predecessor) and the actual dates / expected finish dates.

So to clarify, when i F9 the programme, activity Y reverts to its initial Early dates, rather than its Actual Start date, and expected finish

I'm sure this is something very simple to fix.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 10 hours ago. Offline

have you set your project must finish by date  ?

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

1) What's your data date?

2) Do activites X or Y have any constrains on them? If so, what?

3) Any lag on the FS relationship between X and Y?

4) Also, under schedule options, can you confirm:

a) Is "use expected finish dates" ticked?

b) Retained logic, progress overide, or actual dates?

Cheers,

G

Lee Johnson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Sorry Joe, no, i am using the start & finish columns, i have only brough in the Early Start & Early Finish columns to investigate the issue.

Joe Peck
User offline. Last seen 10 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Lee,

If I understand your issue correctly. In P6 you are using the Early Finish and Late Finish columns and they will always show the original early and late finish dates even after actualizing the schedule.  Try using the Start and Finish columns which will give you the correct actual start and finish dates.  Also make sure to move your data date later than the actual start and actual finish dates before you F9.