Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

duration and calender setting

5 replies [Last post]
sachin sangai
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
The duration of the activity changes with the change in default calendar selected. Is there any setting that will set the same calendar as default for the open project, so that there is no need to select the project calendar manually?

Replies

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Sachin,

I agree with Ian’s post # 3.

Normally, contract duration is in calendar days. I would advise that you always use the Calendar days as your global default calendar.

Contractors will use working days as their global default calendar to lessen variances when delays occurs.

Best regards,
R. Catalan

Ian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 14 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
P6.7 seems to have this at least partially fixed. The calculation conversion to days on an activity is changed to work off the activity calendar, rather than a global conversion factor.

It still relies on the global default calendar for rollup calculations, though.
sachin sangai
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Yeah Ian that is my problem, the calculation of days.
When generating the report for different projects i at times forget to change the calendar and it becomes a big issue with my construction team.
Need some help on this matter..

Ian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 14 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
When you change the default calendar, it won’t actually change the activity durations but it will change the rollup calculations on any of your grouping bands, since those rely on the default calendar for their calculations.

The system takes the start of the earliest activity and the finish of the latest activity in the band as the start and end points of the band and then calculates the duration of the band based on the default calcendar.