Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress without actual start

7 replies [Last post]
Aymen BEN YOUSSEF
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi planners,

I have some trouble to deal with some activities, I’m trying to affect a progress without inputting actual start. Is it possible in P6?? If not pls advice.

Regards,

Replies

Aymen BEN YOUSSEF
Thks a lot my friends for your help,

I think Suspend/Resume is the most suitable for this case specially that you can show the hold period in the bar chart, but in the case that you have more than one hold period Steps become better.

Best regards,
Aymen.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Rafael

You’re right, I didn’t read Aymen’s last sentence.

Aymen
In this case steps would be appropriate.
Introduce 2 steps: "Prefab Ready" with a percent complete of %, then another "Completed" with (100-x)%.
Don’t forget to mark Projects --> Tab "Calculations" --> "Activity percent complete..."

Regards

Dieter
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Aymen,

Because you are not allowed to change the approved schedule the way to go is by Gary’s suggestion, to interrupt progress. It is a common error in our specs to prohibit changes in the CPM as need be, Scheduling is a dynamic thing, but we have to live within our reality.

Maybe if allowed to include steps within your activity, a functionality of P6, then you can include a step for the purpose of showing what is happening.

Perhaps there is more functionality within the use of steps that allows you to model for your progress per step, if so others more knowlegeable of P6 can provide us with their knoledge.

I believe Dieter can be one of those who can give us more insight into this functionality. He must be used to work his CPM the right way, without such restrictive clauses he missed our so wrong reality.

Best regards,
Rafael
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Aymen

Why you don’t use two activities - different resources, payment for prefab?

Regards

Dieter
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I see. Was the original intention to have the rebar prepared just in time for installation rather than several months earlier, or was it just an oversight not to allow for the rebar?

I would advise applying an actual start, then suspending the task and resuming it when installation occurs.

Cheers,

G
Aymen BEN YOUSSEF
Hi Mr Gary,

Let me explain you the situation: I have "Footings Area XX" as activities in my schedule, the re-bars for those footings are already prepared in the workshop but it will be installed after months from now, so if I put an actual start the duration will be stretched every time I update the schedule without any progress and it will not reflect site situation.
I know that the best way is to split those activities but I cant modify the approved schedule :(

Thanks in advance,
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t think so, but why on earth would you want to claim progress before you’ve started anyway?

If P6 does let you do this, it shouldn’t.