Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Actuals without ResourceID

7 replies [Last post]
Billy Holte
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello All,

I am trying to automate my companies timesheet program with P6 through an excel import.

When i populate an activity in the taskrsrc tab with both the resourceid and the actual labor units, p6 imports as expected. 

For some activities, however, i have assigned a new resource in p6, and because the timesheet program does not know who is assigned, i do not want to import a potentially different resourceid as it will add a second resource to the activity.  When i try to import just the actual units, without a resourceid, p6 does not make the update. ( note there is a resourceid already assigned in p6, just not in the import file).

Is there anyway around this, a way to import actual units without a resourceid -- perhaps a setting or a permission that i do not have? 

Thanks!

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

can you share this code with us ?

Billy Holte

To close the loop on this - I was not able to successfully import the actuals without the resourceid, however i found a work around that makes use microsoft query to look at the primavera table, identifies the resourceid that is actually assigned to the activity with P6, and then populate the excel import file as appropriate. A tidy little VBA code makes it all quite seamless.

Zoltan Palffy

not true you can import actuals form excel 

also during the importing process choose to only only import resource assignments. 

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Suggests to use the Excel file to import through SDK.

I hope it will help.

Billy Holte

Thanks for the response. 

I unchecked that box, but it did not have an impact.

I agree with your logic that p6 would not know what resource to update. As a test, I performed an export of a dummy activity without resource assigned and it did not appear in the taskrsrc tab, which is consistent. What is suprising however is that this means there is no way to track actuals without a resource assigned? So the only way to update them by an excel import would be through percent complete?

Is there a way to limit the number of resources assigned to a task to no more than 1? Would that remove the problem?

Billy Holte

Another duplicate... :(

This forum is really confusing as to when a post is submitted.

Zoltan Palffy

check this

go to the project directory

make sure that your project is highlighted

click on the resource tab

lower right corner make sure that Resource can be assigned to the same activity more than once is NOT checked

also during the importing process choose to only only import resource assignments. 

you have to have the resource id in the import file.  How could it possibly know what resource to update as there can be multiple resources for one activity.