Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Activity Percentage Complete

11 replies [Last post]
Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I Exported a set of activities to Excel and I changed the percentage complete and then imported back.But it is not getting updated in P6.

Is it not possible to update activity percentage complete in this way.

Please give me a solution,

With Thanks & Regards,

Anbin

Replies

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

In the Activities window, select the activity to update and display the Activity Details Status tab. -3x

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

An old post, it is mentioned by some that answering to these is not appropiate....

But being a real planner I think I know better.. :)

To use the excel way to update: 

An activity’s percent complete can be calculated according to activity duration, activity units, or a physical percent complete that you enter for each activity.

Choose Project, Activities, and display the Activity Details General tab or add a column for 'Percent Complete Type' in the Activity Table. In the Activities window, select the activity to update and display the Activity Details Status tab. .In the Activities window, select the activity to update and display the Activity Details Status tab. In the Activities window, select the activity to update and display the Activity Details Status tab. In the Activities window, select the activity to update and display the Activity Details Status tab.       

If the selected activity’s percent complete type is set to Physical, you can enter its physical percent complete in the Physical % field.

To edit the Physical % field, the activity must have started.
Enter the physical percent complete and the remaining duration for the activity.

If resources are assigned, you must also update each resource’s actual regular units.

Cheers

Bijoy Koodhathinkal
User offline. Last seen 6 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

I am also still looking for an anwer to this post.

Regrads

Bijoy. K

Bijoy Koodhathinkal
User offline. Last seen 6 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

I am also still lokking for an anwer to this post.

Regrads

Bijoy. K

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
just want to know
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Anbin

If you’ll use "Activity %-complete" it should work without P§ as an intermediate. But all exported activities must be of the type "physical".

The change of dates is due to your autocost rules in P3, I assume.

Regards
Dieter
Anbin Ponnith
Hi all,

I tried by changing the percentage completion type from Duration to Physical.But still there is * symbol in the transfered excel file.Also the datas didnot get changed.

But when I exported the program to P3 then transfered to excel changed and once again imported to p6 it got changed.

But I felt there was changes in the dates...

Regards,

Anbin Ponnith
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

In my opinion the difference is due to the percent complete type.

Alan: "Physical" --> entered manually
Arnold: "Duration" or "Units" --> Calculated by P6

Regards

Dieter
Alan Phillips
User offline. Last seen 3 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

I’ve just tried exporting my activities to a spreadsheet, then updated the Activity % Complete Field (of which there is no asterisk marked against it as said in a previous reply) and then re-imported the spreadsheet back into P6.
The percentages all changed to what I put in the spreadsheet.
I am using version 6.2
Maybe you need to upgrade?
Regards
Alan
Anbin Ponnith
Dear Sir,

Actually my Planning manger asked me to update the percentage of complete.I have already done it in Excel with the sequence of Activity id.As there are more than 5000 activities in my program I though I could use Lookup fromula in excel w.r.t activity ID and then change in the Exported Excel file from P6 and then Import.

I saw in help option ,

To import data from an XLS file, you must have the Project Superuser security profile.
The percentage value must be between 0 and 1. If the value is between 0 and 100, the Project Management module recognizes that value as a percentage. For example, if the value in the import file is 5, the value is imported as 5%

Is there any way possible..

Thanks & regards,

Anbin Ponnith
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anbin,

Unfortunately No. All Columns Header having an asterisk (*) cannot be modified in Excel Sheet.

You can change the %age in Excel by changing the Remaining Duration or by creating UDF and run the global Change.

Regards,

Arnold