Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Progres in Primavera incorrectly completes activities

3 replies [Last post]
Charlie Daniels
User offline. Last seen 9 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have been struggling with this problem for some time now and have not managed to resolve it.

It is a fairly large program so it would be useful to find the solution to my problem.

I usually review the activities and update each one with the reported progress and status.

Once I have done this I want to progress the the data date.

I go to tool update progress and select the new data date and apply.

The project is updated.

BUT!

some activities have which should not be have been changed to completed.

I have to do a manual exercise each time to put it back in progress and apply the correct percentage and finish dates.

This is an unecessary time consuming exercise.

Any suggestions?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Primavera is updating it correctly but it is you who is using the tool incorrectly.

that is not the correct way to update 

1. Determine what your new data will be You can only show actual start and or finishes unto that date 

2. progress each activity by putting in the date that it actually started and any remaining duration to finish this activity. If the activity is done then also put in the actual finish date.

3. Press F9

4. Change the data date

Never use update progress becasue that assumes that everthing actualy started and finished as originally planned and we al know that NEVER happens.

Charlie Daniels
User offline. Last seen 9 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the reply, yes it is very helpful. ;-)

Regards

Charlie

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Charlie

When you have manually updated the activities then just set the new data date and hit F9 and schedule . Do not use the Tools> update button because this funtionallity is used for updating a schedule whereby all the activities are updated as they are progressing as planned. This is not always the case. 

Trust this helps

Johannes