Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SQL-Database - Tips&Tricks

16 replies [Last post]
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The login screen of Primavera has a third item called Database. For most users a non-regarded field.
I want to mention some possibilities to use this item as I have been using this quit a lot lately:

- Copy yr database instead of exporting/importing project, which can be much faster

- create more than one database

- use databases on other computers

All you need is
"C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\ssmsee.exe"

which should be on your computer or can be dowbloaded.
Tomorrow I want to start the fist Tip - hope some people will join this topic

Replies

Hannes de Bruyne
Next Tip:

on the Documentation CD you find 2 utilities using SQL in the directory tools.

These utilities are also interesting for all other users, who don’t want to know anything about SQL.

Hannes
Hannes de Bruyne
A very intersting top:

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=&cat=8&top=21387&...

Also very interesting:

yr installation CD #1 File install\database\scripts\install\ss\sspm_ins.sql This file creates all your SQL-Databases, shows the exact content of the structures.

Hannes
Hannes de Bruyne
Yesterday I saw some pictures of SDK - it looked very much like those Activity- and Project.xls files of P3.1. This Software Developer Kit is on the first P3-CD (you have to start the install-programm again). So I installed the SDK, but it did not work - I had a problem with server and host, which I did not understand. Is there anybody out there who has any experience with this SDK? This feature would be most interesting for most of the users. I will ask some experts around here, but some help would also be great.

Hannes
Hannes de Bruyne
Second Tip:

My first Tip works well on the same computer, but if you tranfer this file to an other computer you might have a problem with pubuser and privuser.

So in addition to the first tip:

After you restored the database RightMouseClick this database and select "New Query". In the next screen write

alter user pubuser with login = pubuser;
alter user privuser with login = privuser;

This now must be executed with the icon execute

You can check if this is ok by looking in the security / Users / privuser of yr new database.
Benito Nepomuceno
User offline. Last seen 8 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Mr, Hannes,

Many thanks for your tip & tricks for P5 Installation. I had a hard times to convert my P4.1 to P5 stand alone. Now it works in my laptop. I cannot configure the database using the MSDE attached to the Installation disk, then I downloaded the sql server 2005 express, and it works well!

Benito
Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hannes, I’m afraid that I don’t understand your comment, even though I have a general techie background, including programming and databases. (But I confess that was long before anyone knew what SQL was, whether in a database or a programming context!)

But let’s keep things simple, if only for my benefit. In a Primavera sense there is no real difference between a MS SQL Server Express (formerly MSDE) database, a full MS SQL Server database, or an Oracle database.

I’ve never heard of Express being described as part of the Windows operating system. But its use is free of charge for up to eight simultaneous users. Which obviously includes standalone. And it is the default choice for both Primavera standalone and small server installations. But there is nothing to stop a standalone Primavera user using either of the other two if they choose to do so, and are licensed to do so. At one time I used to use SQL Server 2000 for my standalone laptop, because I didn’t like MSDE’s lack of database "tools".

But none of that has anything to do with the question of Primavera application program licensing, which is what I was commenting on.
Hannes de Bruyne
There is a misunderstanding about the word Database:

What Primavera calls "database" is not a database, but only a section of a database - for a standalone this is the SQL-Database and P6 normaly uses a section called Primavera$... The database (and sections of it) is part of the operating system (Windows XP sp2), so there is only a license of MS needed. Copying is the same as copying a Directory/File in P3
Arthur Godbeer
Oliver, I was specifically describing a scenario that was both server and standalone. In that situation, there would be a server-based licence file that would ordinarily describe multiple users and possibly also different configurations of software used.

As every database has to have an attached licence file, one can’t then also use the server licence file "standalone". There would need to be a different licence file that would be most logically for a single "Named User". And that would require a separate purchase.

The P6 Licence Agreement says that the software is for "a single standalone computer" OR (my emphasis) use on a computer network. But there is a difference between backing up data (including the entire database, as described in this thread) and accessing data using the software.

That’s the kind of explanation I’d give my own users, but you should contact your Primavera rep if there is any doubt.

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Arthur,

Are you stating that cannot use a named license to access the original database and copied one at seperate time, as far as license agreements go?
Arthur Godbeer
"use databases on other computers".

But be aware of possible licensing implications. It is relatively common that the same person might want to use the Windows client program "Project Management" with a multi-user server-based database, but also standalone. Usually part of the server database would be "checked out", and this ensures that there there is no danger of that data being updated in two places.

In that scenario, even if you are the same user, you need two licences. One for the server and one for the "standalone" database. And although copying the whole database is something different, as far as I know it has the same licensing considerations.

Riyadh Yahia
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hannes,

It is vey Important Topic you explained.

Thanks
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Ok, need to check with Admin guys as what we hav now is Microsoft SQL Server/SQL Express.

Will call u bak

Cheers,

Ravi
Hannes de Bruyne
Hi

what you need ist he "SQL Server - Management Studio Express". If not available you can download it from Microsoft
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Hannes,

I have checked the path specified on my system, but its not what u have mentioned. It is

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn

and there is no ssmsee.exe file in it.

there are four dll files in it. sqldmo.dll, sqlresld.dll, sqlsvc.dll and w95scm.dll

Will u plz elaborate more on this. Y this ssmsee.exe file is not there opn my system.

??????
Neils Gao
User offline. Last seen 8 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hannes,
It helps a lot,
Thank you
Hannes de Bruyne
First Tip:

Start ssmsee.exe
a database called xxxxx\primavera should be in the field Server Name
this xxxxx is important, it is your computer
Connect...
Klick Databases...
Rightklick pmdb$primavera...
(this is the primavera part of the sql-database)
Tasks...
Backup...
ok...
now a pmdb$primavera.bak file is created on your computer
which can be transported to an other computer
now the same for the restore instead of backup
to database... (here comes the new name (yyyyy))
from device... (not from database)
select "file"
add...
pmdb$primavera.bak
now you have a seccond database as a copy of the primavera database
leave ssmsee.exe
open primavera
in the loginwindow select the databasefield...
edit database connections ...
add...
new database alias... is the new name you gave the database (yyyyy)
next...
hostname is xxxxx\PRIMAVERA (of course yr computername instead of xxxxx)
databasename...is the new name you gave the database (yyyyy)
next....
finish

now you should have a seccond database

good luck