Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

what is weight?

10 replies [Last post]
Riyadh Yahia
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi to ALL,

1- what is weight?
2- How to calculate it?
3- what is it using for?
4- Does it needed for P6?

Thx

Replies

Qiu Wei
User offline. Last seen 13 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
In additional,

Project will calculate 3 types of %Complete.

%Complete. This calculates %Complete for each individual task weighted by
duration (%Complete*Duration)

%WorkComplete. This calculates the sum of %WorkComplete*Work for each task.
It is weighted by Work.

Physical%Complete. This calculates the sum of Physical%Complate*(Budgeted
Cost of Work Scheduled) it is based on money (essentiall). This requires
resources to be assigned with $/hr in the work rate. You also need a
baseline.
Qiu Wei
User offline. Last seen 13 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Project is calculated in the following manner: first, all progress expressed in "percent complete" is posted against every task. That percent is applied towards a "relative weight" which is a percentage calculated on the basis of the manhour estimates for each activity against the total manhours for that task.

So, the "percent complete" for a task is a calculated figure, which is called a "weighted percentage". This individual "percent complete" for every task is then applied to a "relative weight" now calculated on the basis of the total manhours for every work order included in the report. The overall "percent complete" is likewise a "weighted" percentage.

It is easy to see that any errors in reporting progress would be normally small enough as to not influence the overall progress in any significant manner. At any given time during the turnaround, anywhere from 20 to 30 percent of the work orders may be active (being worked). Of these, less than half have activities in progress (in other words, not completed), which may be incorrectly evaluated and reported. The impact of such inaccuracies in progress evaluation are generally negligible: a twenty percent error against an activity which weighs in at 1 percent or less of the overall scope is insignificant.

But when an error against a major activity for a large task occurs, the impact can be noticeable. This can happen in situations where the work scope changes (for example, refractory repairs in heaters or large vessels such as an FCC reactor/regenerator in my industry).
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

In Cost Engineering Terminology:

WEIGHTS – is the numerical modifiers used to infer importance of commodities in an aggregative index.

Arnold
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
my answer is yes, Rob is right considering how the software (P6) works, and yes it (weight) is required if you want to measure how your activities / WBS worth.

How? there are several ways, maybe Carmen can elaborate fluently.
Robert Lowe
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Riad,

The short answer to your question is no. Weight for any activity, WBS (to include Project ID), or project weight is assumed to be equal unless you choose to weigh one element over another element. Weight is a subjective value and therefore not required. P6 assumes that 100% of the effort is spread across the activity, or WBS element, unless you tell it otherwise.

Rob
Riyadh Yahia
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply I got your idea about the weight, so one remain question is, Do I need it in P6 or I can get the same values and information directly from P6 ? and How ?

best regards
Robert Lowe
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Good Day Riad,

I’m going to address your question as it applies to activity steps. But it’s certainly possible to apply the same concept to other weighted areas. Weight is really a subjective value. I know, I know, I can just see the piles of posts that will follow, but let me explain myself first.

When an activity step is added it is automatically assigned a weight of 1. Each successive step will also receive a value of 1. That number equates to a percentage of completeness of the over all activity. If two steps are added and each has a weight of 1 then each has a value of 50%. If one step is checked off as completed then the activity is 50% physically complete.

Now, if you change the weight of the first step to 2 and leave the second step at 1 then the percentages shift to 67 and 33 respectively. This is because as far as Primavera is concerned you can never be more than 100% physically complete on any activity.

What criteria one uses to determine the step weight is up to them and the project manager. Steps have no relationships and no recourses. Here’s a couple examples of how I’ve seen step weight determined.

There is an activity called “Move LP Turbine Upper Casing.” There are two steps. Step one requires 4 millwrights, an operating engineer, and a crane. Step two requires 2 millwrights, an operating engineer and a crane. Step one requires 6 resources and is given a step weight of 6. Step two requires 4 resources and is given a weight of 4. Step One has a Step Weight Percent of 60% and Step Two has a Step Weight Percent of 40%. When Step One is completed the activity is 60% physically complete.

Now take the same activity, same steps, and same resources for each step. Only Step One takes two hours to complete and Step Two takes 3 hours to complete. Step One is given a weight of 2 or a Step Weight Percent of 40%. Step Two is given a weight of 3 or a Step Weight Percent of 60%.

I hope this helps you out.

Best Regards,
Rob
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Riad,

waiting for Anoon definitions, you are going to wait a bit.

Why don’t you try to read the following post:
Project weightage distribution

Forum category: Project management Issues discussion

Cheers,
Riyadh Yahia
Hi Anoon,

Thanks for Ur reply and In Which way can I use it in P6?

riad

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
i believe weight is a unit of measure from a measurable matter

needed for P6?, yes