Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned value : Using Weighted minestones technic

2 replies [Last post]
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all.
In calculating Performance % complete there’re 5 technic. Could you guy give me some advantage of using Weighted minestones technic ?
In what case we should use this option ?

Thank you so much.

Replies

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
You can use weighted milestones in a conservative manner.

i.e, you can assign slighlty less value on key milestones than you would typically expect to earn on activities up to that point.

If you were managing a massive design programme made up of several design offices, each using a similar design lifecycle, then this planning method can be used to challenge the design/project managers.

The fact that each manger can’t claim any value whatsoever until they reach that first milestone could make design office managers perform slightly better.

Imagine a horse race where the jockey wins more money for each fence he reaches. He’s going to flog the engineers, i mean horses.
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
KD,
it will really depend on the circumstance that you wish to use them in.

I have previously used weigheted milestones as indicators in my master schedule of the progress of a contractor, or the identification of progress payments across a large control account.

So it really is up to you how you applt the theory, as long as you document why your doing it that way so the project manager can understand it you will be OK.

Andy