Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Level of Effort Items

3 replies [Last post]
Brian Yung
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Good day Gentlemen,

I used to like using Hammock items in P3. It seems that Ptimavera has taken that activity type out of P6.

As a result I am using Level of Effort activities to mimick the hammock activities.

Here are some issues that I have encountered. Maybe some of you can resolve the issue for me.

1- I have a group of activities that does not have a particular sequence; therefore I used an LOE to track the start and end of this group of activities (somewhat like using WBS). By doing so, the LOE activity shows a "faulty" total float (large amount of float).

2- When I want to make an activity a successor to this group of activities by linking them with a FS relationship, the LOE item just extends its bar to the start date of the successor (I guess this is somewhat linked to my first issue)

Is there a way to fix this?

Regards,

Brian

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Brian
You’ll assign ALL predecessors with a SS relationship and ALL successors with a FF relationship. The first predecessor automatically start the LoE, the last successor finish it.

Regards
Dieter
Brian Yung
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Dieter,

What happens when you have a group of activities that you aren’t sure about which one would start first but the start of anyone of them will be the start of your LOE. The same goes for the end.

What I’ve done up to now was:
add the activities in the group twice as the predecessor. One with an SS relationship and the other with a FS relationship.

I’m not too convinced that this is a good way of doing it.

would you have any other suggestions?

Regards
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Brian

Just do it as you did in P3: SS from predecessor to LoE then FF from the LoE to the activities determining its end as a successor. LoE has no own duration (same as Hammock).LoE, same as Hammock, isn’t able to drive successors.

Regards
Dieter