Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SPLITTING PROJECTS

7 replies [Last post]
Sebastian Rush
User offline. Last seen 7 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all (again...)

I am facing the following "challenge", we have huge project network (10000+) activities, and now because of its growth it’ s really slow to calculate and work with it. We are a group of planners and we need to split the project into multiple subnetworks (if possible without losing the links at the split ting ends). Does anyone know how to do this? Can you select a few activities and assign them to a new project without losing the link on the original one? (This could solve it, couldn’t it).

Thanks....

Happy planning to you all !!!

Replies

Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Mangesh,

Direct copying or cut & paste of activities is not simple but there is an easy way around.

Open both projects open. Do not group the project by anything - this way activities of both projects will be listed together. Add a column for WBS. Now if you want to take an activity from prject A to B, just change its WBS. Simple like that.
Sebastian Rush
User offline. Last seen 7 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi fellow planners,

many thanks for your responses, I have not had any time to try to implement your suggestion. I will "experiment" them on a local copy, before affecting the "live" file.

Thanks agains.

Seb
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Mangesh,

You can copy and paste using WBS into different Projects under WBS module in P5. Much easier.

HTH
Mangesh Khuspe
User offline. Last seen 44 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi all

if you are using P5 then its not so simple coz copying of activities option does not work in two different projects.
you have to use methodology management module.
tell me if i am wrong.
the approach of thomas is very gud.

cheers

Mangesh
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
create the new projects, then open the original project and new created projects at the same time, cut the activities from original and paste into new project.

No lose in information EXCEPT you have different structures.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi,

You can drag and drop, Copy & Paste or Cut and Paste without losing link which will prompt you what information you would like to carried when moving or coping WBS to another project under WBS module.
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Sebastian:

I had the same problem as you recently, when developing a 230,000 activity schedule.
I decided to split the project into 11 other subprojects.
The way I did it was using the WBS. First I created the new projects and then I copied sections of the parent project WBS into each of the child projects. This copied all the activities within the WBS sections. I kept the original project as backup
In my case it was easy regarding the relationships between projects because there were very few between them. I assigned those relationships after the splitting so I am not sure whether they can stay if you split afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Tomas Rivera