Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5.0 and version 4.1

3 replies [Last post]
Donna Hernandez
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I need to work on the same project out of two offices, one with only the version 4.1 and one that has upgraded to 5.0. I will not be allowed to upgrade 4.1 for several months and was wondering if anyone has had experience with going back and forth in these two versions. Knowledgebase just says it can be done, but I would like to know of any experiences and if there were problems with the compatability.

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
It is if you haven’t Purged Deletes in P5 before exporting. You may be exporting thousands of unneeded activities.
Donna Hernandez
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Ron. Is it typical for the import to take an hour and a half for a project with just under 5,000 activities?
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
One thing is for certain, you shouldn’t need to worry about this problem for very long. Primavera has had a long-standing policy of only supporting software one version removed from the current. With the introduction of P6 (now delayed to August 2007,) Version 4.1 should no longer be supported. This means that when this 4.1 has problems with the only WIN operating system being sold (Vista,) that there will not be a fix forthcoming. I know of several petrochemical companies who are going to have to make some quick decisions on this issue.

As for converting back and forth – User Defined Fields (UDLs) will not fare well as P4.1 has a limited, strict set of fields and P5 is loose and unlimited. I suspect that P5 will import P4.1 better than P4.1 will import P5. Look to the Primavera Knowledgebase for more. Good luck!