Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

import P3 to P5

13 replies [Last post]
Frank Neal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
We have recently imported a P3 schedule into P5.

We noticed the start and finish dates to be the same.
The calendars are exactly the same ( P3 & P5)
yet the orig dur in P5 is less than the Orig dur in P3
i.e one task P3 had 26 days ODU and now the same task in P5 has 21 days ODU..

any pointers!!

thks

Frank

Replies

Frank Neal
All sorted, we had 10hrs / day, as soon as you change to 8hrs /day the odu returned back to its origianl value..

many thks

dinesh.!
Sadia Janjua
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
I had the same problem. The solution to this is when you schedule your schedule make sure you select the progress overide. Your dates should match
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Frank,

Try the following:

Go to Admin, Admin Preferences and look at the Time Periods tab. Make sure that the Hours/Day setting matches the setting from where the project came from.

In the case of importing from P3 projects, if the planning unit is Days, then set the Time Periods to 8 Hours/Day.

In P3, you are allowed to make the Original duration and Remaining duration different for Not Started activities. When they are imported into Project Management, it will set the Original duration to match the Remaining duration by design.

The P3 user must either update the remaining duration to match the original, or set an actual start on that activity in order for the durations to match what is in P3

Cheers..

Dinesh
Frank Neal
many thanks, will take a look tomorrow..

I actualy created a barchart view in P5 ( daily) and couunted the bar periods, = 26 days, which was the original p3 odu, but now in P5 the odu = 21 days! How can the periods = 26 on the barchart, but the odu = 21?
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
The answer is "Interruptible Activities." P3 supports this CPM calculation option while P5 does not. You have doubly-constrained activities that were stretching to meet both restraints in P3. In P5, the finish restraint always takes precedence. Good luck!
Frank Neal
Not sure, I will re-check and see if that has any impact.

thks

Frank
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
I can’t really think about other things at this moment - but one common problem I’ve encountered is this- did you schedule the project in P3 immediately before importing it? Some problem have been overcome by shceduling in P3, then importing right after the scheduling is completed.

Frank Neal
Yes, just checked we are using Release 5.0 SP3 ( 30000050)

Thks for all of your suggestions...keep going...
Santosh Bhat
Are you using the latest service pack (SP3 at this time)
Frank Neal
Have checked the calendars and both are the same calendar?

Santosh Bhat
If start and finish dates are the same, yet durations are different - then its a calendar related problem.

1) check what the default calendar for the project now is
2) then manually check that the calendars beign used are in fact the same.

For 2) you can’t print calendars in P5, but i suggest you pick an activity that is showing the duration change, and compare the periods between the start and finish dates across both P5 and P3 calendars for any differences in the number of work days.

Frank Neal
No they are marked as tasks
Santosh Bhat
The task you’re referring to - was it a hammock in P3? and is now a "Level of Effort" activity?