Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

External Applications

6 replies [Last post]
Paul Naughton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I notice from the enterprise menu you can link external applications to P5. I have tried playing with linking MSP projects to see how this works as part of the company has not transferred to Primavera but have had no success. The manual doesn’t provide any information on this so I’m wondering if anyone has done this and had any success.

Replies

Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Partly - if MSP has the predecessor activity, Primavera will obey the logic - and you can establish the relationship within Primavera. If MSP is the successor, whilst you can partially do so while all the projects are in Primavera, once you reopen the project in MSP all is lost.

If you want to link external projects to Primavera (from MSP, Excel, etc) there is the TaskLink product which allows you to operate a programme of work in different applications.
Paul Naughton
Mario,

Thanks for that, The one thing I was struggling to achieve was linking the first/last MSP activities into Primavera to see how it impacts in the overall programme. Are you suggesting this should be possible?

Paul
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Paul

If you are talking about saving the project from MSP to Primavera using the Primavera function on an MSP toolbar then you already have ProjectLink installed. ProjectLink keeps a copy of the project in MSP format but within the Primavera database. This means that you can share resources between Primavera and MSP, and can roll MSP data up in Primavera. It doesn’t mean that the project will behave like a Primavera project, which is why it is read only. You can do some other things - you can have certain (but not all) relationships defined between MSP activities and activities in Primavera projects for example, and I think you can enter issues and/or risks associated with the MSP project.

If you want to you can convert the project into a Primavera project but that will then lose the MSP formats.
Kym Lesinski
User offline. Last seen 18 years 6 days ago. Offline
I’m cautious when moving a programme from MSP to P3e, it’s not always a smooth transition. MSP and P3e don’t always follow the same rules when it comes to things like constraints, calendar’s or resource assignments. The process I follow is to import MSP programmes into a standalone version of P3e where I can check it and fix any anomalies which have occurred during the import. Once it’s been cleaned it can go into the main database. It’s a little long winded but it saves you from having to deal with any surprises in your operating database.
Joao Ribeiro
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
To link P5 with MSP there is an application called projectlink, or something similar, that comes with the software.

HTH
Paul Naughton
I have used the option of saving the programme to Primavera when in MSP through the Primavera toolbar but this just gives read only access.