Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Plotting S Curves From EVA Data

3 replies [Last post]
Kelly Randolph
User offline. Last seen 17 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
I may be barking up the wrong tree but maybe someone can help me. I am using Primavera 5.0. I have created a test project to work out some solutions for a real project later on.

I have six activities and one summary level activity. I also have one resource assigned to the summary level activity at $1.00 per hour. The other six activities are linked in series with a duration of 20 days each. Also, I have set the summary activity to physical percent complete as percent complete type.

Ultimately what I am trying to do is use EVA data to plot s curves. My company and project team are not interested in seeing s curves in dollars or units instead they want to see s curves with planned percent complete, actual percent complete and estimate to complete the project, 3 curves. What I am thinking is to take s curves that are produced in dollars and convert them to a relative percent complete. I am currently using data from the Activity Usage Spreadsheet to get EVA data.

The problem that I have encountered in playing around with this scenario is that as the remaining duration of the summary activity increases the earned value for month # one goes down. FYI , I did make a baseline at the start of the project. The increase in remaining duration could be caused by new scope of work, contractor being late, weather, equipment deliveries, etc.

So the question I have is should the schedule be re-baselined every month and which data should I be using to plot s curves to show planned percent complete, actual percent complete and estimate to complete the project. Remember, earned value is calculated as baseline total cost times activity percent complete. If the remaining duration of the summary activity increases so does the total cost but you have to rebaseline the schedule or else EVA calculations are still based on baseline # 1.

Any comments, solutions, ideas, corrections, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kelly

Replies

Kelly Randolph
User offline. Last seen 17 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
John,

Thanks for your help. I have taken a quick look at your product and it looks good.If I am not mistaken EVA data stored in financials peroids can deviate from current EVA data not stored in financials periods . Plus the problem to reconcile an incraese in remaining duration due to new scope of work or contractor being late because EVA calculations will still be based on original baseline.

I am going on vacation for about 2 weeks. When I get back I will stidy the problem more, downlaod the trial versions and send you more detailed information to see if you can come up with a solution.

Thanks,
Kelly
John Garay
User offline. Last seen 7 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
David - Thanks for the mention!

Kelly - We would be happy to help you get the chart you need from Primavera.

DecisionEdge already includes S-curve charts that pull data directly from the new past-period fields in Primavera 5.0. In regards to a percentage based curve, I think it would be fairly easy for us to create a custom chart for you.

If you are interested, please send me with a sample of what you want and we can see about getting it done for you!

Regards,
John Garay
DecisionEdge, Inc.
jgaray@decisionedge.com
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
Kelly,

Ah, the joys of percent complete on the "y" axis.

Two issues raised by your post. Historic data changing SHOULD be fixed by the version 5 "Past Period Actuals" feature. I have checked several aspects of this new facility, but have not exhaustively been through it - but so far so good.

My recomendation for % complete on the "y" axis would be to contact Decision Edge, the authors of "Primavera Charts". There are two versions of this product. The "Designer" version will do this, but there is SQL code to write inside it, this is NOT trivial - I have only managed it with substantial help from Decision Edge themselves. My guess is you require to buy their excellent product at a few hunderd dollars, and commission them to write a custom chart for you, which you could then "save as" with filter changes to make the variety of user specific charts you require.