Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e and P3 conflicting dates

7 replies [Last post]
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

I imported a schedule from P3 to P3e and I compared dates, relationships and other. The import was OK and the calendar used is 7 days per week for both P3 and P3e. I faced the following conflicting dates:

in P3: I had the first activity with a constraint "start on" date and duration of 10 days. Its successor has a FF relationship with a lag of -3 and a duration of 2 days. Therefore, the 1st activity has for example: Start: 02-May-05* and Finish:11-May-05. The 2nd activity has: Start:07-May-05 and Finish: 08-May-05.

in P3e: the 1st activity is the same as P3 but the 2nd activity is different!!!

I have re-checked working hours, calendars, early dates, etc. but unfortunately I could not where is the error (if any). May be, I need to change the lag? But this is not a practical way to adjust the schedule!

Did you face the same problem? And how did you resolve it?

Thanking you in advance.

J.S. Daniel

Replies

Jihad Daniel
Dear Paul and Bernard,

In fact, I checked before the schedule’s relationship (which is Predecessor)and the program is not loaded with resources. If you take the example mentionned in my first message and put the dates then run the schedule in P3 and P3e, you’ll find the difference.

Regards,
J.S. Daniel

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
J.S.Daniel, Paul has pointed you in the right direction. You might like to read a related discussion here regarding calendars for lags/relationships:

What Do You Expect?

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dear J. S. Daniel

I cannot reproduce your schedule without knowing all the schedule settings in both P3 and P3e.

From what you have described I think you need to check the P3e setting you are using for calculating lags.

Go to Tools, Schedule, Advanced and at the bottom there are four options for calculating scheduling relationships lag. P3 uses the Predecessor, what is your setting? If it is not predecessor then change it and try recalculating.

Are there resources, if so you will need to check their calendars too?

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Jihad Daniel
Dear Paul,

Please just try these 2 activities’ schedule described in my first message of this thread and you’ll understand my worries.

Regards,
J.S.Daniel
Paul Harris

It is my opinion that it should be possible to make schedules created in P3 to schedule the same dates in P3e. This is because P3e has more schedule options than P3. It could be different going the other way if an option in P3e is used that is not available in P3.

You need to check the schedule options in P3 and ensure they are set the same in P3e, these would include:
1. Using the predecessor calendar for lags and
2. Using the same out of sequence progress option.

If calendars etc have transfered correctly then I am not able to make any other suggestions.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Jihad Daniel
Dear Paul,

When merging definitively from P3 to P3e, we are using permanently P3e and transfering all existing P3 files to this new version. How can we make sure that our data & schedule merging was successfull and correct? Again, if we need to check a P3 schedule (done by a certain Company which is still using P3),are we obliged to make a checklist comparing both P3 & P3e schedules, then check the schedule itself?!

Regards,
J.S. Daniel
Paul Harris
Dear J. S. Daniel

P3e has the option of putting lags on the predecessor, successor or project calendar. P3 only uses the predecessor calendar. Therefore I suggest you check your schedule options.

On the other hand importing a schedule is often data conversion not schedule conversion and often scheduling programmes will calculate differently. Usually one needs to understand how both programmes calculate to understand the differences

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au