Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

LENGTH OF DESCRIPTION

4 replies [Last post]
Sajid Syed
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH P5. IN P3 THE LENGTH OF THE ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION IS FIXED.

CAN SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO INCREASE THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS THAT CAN BE ENTERED IN THE "ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION"

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
were the 2 lines of text you talk about next to the bars or in the columns on the left?

if next to the bars, then go to format>bars

Select your bar (normally called Early Bar or something) and click the Modify Button

Click the label tab. In this dialog, you can specify all sorts of dtata that displays above, below and next to your bars. You can display log fields here. If you select to dosplay sveeral log fields (say LOG1 to LOG5) then they will display one on top of the other. Then you can enter your longer description in those log fields. Each log field is 48 char (like act descr.) but you have 99 of them so go nuts.

If in the columns then possibly they used custom data items and then inserted them as columns. You only have 8 custom data items though and 2 are normally reserved for Target Start and Target Finish as for some unknown reason P3.1 can’t filter on target dates.
Sajid Syed
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I HAVE SEEN IN AN OLD BAR CHART OF AND EPC COMPANY THEY WERE WRITING LONGER DESCRIPTIONS EXTENDED IN TWO LINES.

I WAS WANDERING HOW THEY MANAGED IT.?
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
Deb is right. Max length 48 chars. Welcome to 20 year old software :D

Actually, I quite like the discipline of the shorter act descript, there’s rarely anything I can’t get to fit, especially if you accept that area designations and phases etc can be handled in your Activity codes.

For everything else there’s logs, although sadly you can’t display a log field as a column, which is frustrating.
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Sajid,
There is no tool to extend the activity description , u can have a separate column of Custom Data item naming it as Activity Further description(AFD) or u can use log.
Regards
deb