Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Change activity Description Length

13 replies [Last post]
Sid Dickerson
User offline. Last seen 18 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Need information on increasing the activity description length from 120 to 150. I have check user preferences can not find were to change it. Any information would be useful.

Replies

Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I cant understand and think of a situtation that someone needs 250 characters for an activity name. Isn’t it better to use the log fields ??
Maybe it’s better to seriously increase these lenghts.

Regards

Henk
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Zhang,

The only way you can change anything in P3 is the day Primevera allows us access to the database structure behind P3. This will mean you will need to learn new report writing skills, how to use calculated field, etcetera etcetera. The old open plan planners still had these skills.

This is a two edged sword, how do you make programs users friendly, or other wise for expert users? If you allow people the freedom and they do not know what they are doing they are liable to cock it up. So restrict access to only certain things, and it will work. This is what user friendly is in terms of software, in common use.

Regards

Philip
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sid,

I have Primavera Project Planner Professional(P4) version 4.1 which is equivalent to P3e/c in my office system. I did not come across this kind of activity description problem so far(i mean i don’t have a situation to use the description more than 120 characters), when i read Bill’s Suggestion it would be a better solution to your problem as i thought. But after you have mentioned that you are using 150 characters in your database program, hence your P3 "E" is chopping of anything more than 120 characters, you can be thinking of capturing the description field into a userdefined field(if possible)rather than Activity Description through some programs like VBA application in Activity4.xls file and through SDK you can set the user defined field to display the item as per your requirements and then you can hide the P3 ’E’s default display of activity description field and do some gimmicks to display the userdefined field title as Activity Description and show this column in the schedule.

HTH

Daya
Sid Dickerson
This is a P3 Enterprise Forum. We were discussing "E’s" activity description length. The 48 charter length issue along with other limitations is why we are using P3e for our Turnaround. I use a Access Database program for planning and I allowed the planners to use up to 150 charters for there description. Not that big of a problem since P3e will chop off anything over 120 when we use out auto migration link and send it to "E".

Thanks
Sid
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sid,

I think, Bill’s suggestion seems to be a better alternative in order to have more than 120 characters in the activity description. you can follow his suggestion.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Sid,

I’m wondering, How you managed to increase the activity description length from 48 to 120 characters? Could you share the procedure with other PPers.

Regards.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 4 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi,

I have tried to increase the length of activity description of P3 several years ago the first time i use it.
Now I understand, it’s defined by the structure of P3 datebase, the length for this field is 48 char, no way to increase. You should try some alternatives.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sid,

I suggest you practice your abbreviations, and bon’t try and identify your activities in to too much detail, make sure other people involved understands your descriptions.

By the way you are lucky, 120 characters, we mickey mouses in P3 are limited to 48, but we seem to be able too live with it.

Regards
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Sid,

Here’s another possible solution if you need more than 120 characters for an activity name. That is a long activity name by the way.

Create an activity user defined field of text type. User defined fields of text type can be 255 characters.

Use Global change to initially transfer existing activity names to this new field. You will be able to use this field as your alternative description on layouts and reports.

Regards,
Bill
Sid Dickerson
Thanks for the info. I was sure P3 said it was 255 in one of there sales pitches but that must have been something else.

Thanks
Sid
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Sid,

The activity description is 120 characters. It cannot be increased.

If that is not enough description for you, you also have notebook topics, assignable to activities, that can contain thousands of characters.

Regards,
Bill
Sid Dickerson
I have check there. That is for Activity ID lengths not Activity Description lengths. I have look everywhere but can’t seem to find it. It was my understanding that it would handle up to 255 charters in the description. Thanks for you help
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Try Admin, Admin Preferences, Id Lengths.

HTH