Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Unable to print to PDF from P3

8 replies [Last post]
Maya C
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am getting an error "CANNOT COMPACT OUTPUT PAGES, NORMAL PRINTING WILL RESUME" error when I try to print P3 layouts to Adobe PDF.

This has been baffling us for three weeks now. We did a re-install of P3, reinstall of Adobe (Stand 7.0.8). Nothing seems to work.

Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maya

Replies

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Mr. Abdul Rehman,

Please check the topic date posted before you make any reply to any post. Almost 4 years already passed and Maya seems did not get any solution to the problem.

I may suggest to have a choices for thread owner to tell if the issues are already solve.

Mr. Abdul Rehman is a victim of the absence of the choices.

Regards,

Abdul Rehman
User offline. Last seen 13 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Maya,

If you want P3 Report in PDF Format, first set the PDF Printer (Any type... either Cute PDF or PDF995) as default printer. Then make page setup in which paper size you want to convert (A4/A3/B0/B1).  Then go back to P3 Main window. Then click print button directly (not from the file menu ==> print==> choose pdf printer) from the main  window.

This will help to solve your problem...

Thanks.

ABDUL REHMAN

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Maya,

Sometimes I used File Print and it is not working.

Be inventive???

just click the printer button and it will automatically print.

Cheers,

Joseph
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, Joseph is right. You need to have a Cute.PDF in order to convert P3 to PDF files. The reason behind this is that P3 is an old software which is running on 16 bit and no longer compatible with the latest software running on 32 bit.

Cheers,
Daniel
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Maya,

The best you can do is to download cute pdf. This is a free download from the internet, so no worry that authorities will caught you using cute pdf. Previously, I used prima pdf but I found cute pdf better in converting P3 files to pdf files.

After you download cute pdf, you need to make this as your default printer since primavera will alwasy print using the default printer (even if you set up other printer, P3 will use the default printer).

The other steps will be just like normal printing.

Please let me know if you still encounter problems for me to solve it.

Cheers,

Joseph
Rey Basadre
User offline. Last seen 16 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Encountered the same situation before, the solution:
1. First set adobe Acrobat Distiller as system default printer.
2. Go back to P3 window.
3. Go to menu File/Print Setup.
4. Choose adobe Acrobat Distiller as printer, set-up page size, etc.
5. Click the Print icon from the default window (NOT FROM PRINT PREVIEW WINDOW).

No more problem printing P3 layouts in pdf format.
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Your error sounds like a paper size issue, check your paper size settings in P3 as well as the printer defaults.

better yet use cute pdf... its free and works well

alternately try to print from bar-chart view instead of print preview.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 17 weeks ago. Offline
Maya C

I appreciate this may be new to you but problems of printing from Adobe are well documented and there are some documents on the Primavera web.

You will probably need to create a new Adobe printer port with a short path say to C:\P3WIN\P3OUT\ (I am not certain as I do not use Adobe 7) and you must have the latest P3 patch which is at least SP3, unless they have release another since I last looked..

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au