Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Late Finish Change.

6 replies [Last post]
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, Can any one till me when the Late finish of an activiy can be changed? And is it logic to accept the change of the late finish?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline

Late finish dates are set by the backward pass of the schedule

for the total project late dates 1st it looks for a Project must finish by date then calculates backwards in time from that date taking into the logic and durations and determines the LATEST and activity can finish and start without delaying the project.

it would also look for an activity with finish on or before constraint on it and also calculate backwards in time from that date to determine the late dates

if there is NOT a project must finish by date set or a finish on or before constraint on the last logical activity in the schedule then the late finish date WILL EQUAL THE EARLY FINISH DATE because it has no where else to start to calculate the backward pass

Late Dates are derived from the backward pass starting at the projetc must finish by date

Early dates are derived from the forward pass starting at the date date or the start date of the project

The difference between the early and date date is the total float 

Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I have a related question,.....I am getting a message when I try to reduce the Remaining Duration, the message is "Remaining Finish can not be less then Remaining Start".

I am guessing this is talking about the Late Finish Date or maybe the Planned Finish Date? either way, the reduced duration that I want to enter is correct, the Expected Finish Date that I want is Correct, so how do I clear the fields that are generating this message?

Rod

Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I have a related question,.....I am getting a message when I try to reduce the Remaining Duration, the message is "Remaining Finish can not be less then Remaining Start".

I am guessing this is talking about the Late Finish Date or maybe the Planned Finish Date? either way, the reduced duration that I want to enter is correct, the Expected Finish Date that I want is Correct, so how do I clear the fields that are generating this message?

Rod

Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Mr.Collen, Actually the problem that I met was: when I start to schedule the project the Late finish should be the same as the Base plan(or the Target),if we adjust the Autocost rules to calculate the total float on the late finish. some times it happen that the Late finish changed. inspite that it should be the same as the Target. I am not sure exactly what is the reason. But I am sure that the Late finish of the project should not change, because this is our limit,and according to that the T.F is calculated. Best Regards
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Late Finish, as for late start and early start and finish, is calculated by the scheduling software. You can set the late finish by use of certain constraints: 1. Set a Finish No Later than constraint. this will only override the calculated date if it is earlier than the calculated date. 2. Set a Zero Total Float constraint. This sets the late dates equal to the early dates (usually used to make open ended paths critical). 3. You might be able to set the late finish by setting an Expected Finish constraint, plus a Zero Total Float constraint, but I am not sure why you would do this and I haven't tried it. This will also set the Early Finish as well.