Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cost Loading a Schedule - Input From ?

7 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Just understand where the Cost of each activity would come from if you have to Cost Load a schedule.

The BOQ of a Project would have a lumpsum quantity say for example,

Concrete = 250 Cu M X 350$ / Cu M = 87,500 $.

And in schedule we have activity say,

• Concrete - Slab on Grade
  • Concrete - Column Ground Floor
  • Concrete - First Floor
  • Concrete - Column First Foor
  • Concrete - Second Floor. 

So how can a Planning Engineer allocate the Cost for each activity based on quantity. 

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

that can be one source but usually after the project is awarded the field team actually doing the work will take the project off again to ensure that nothing has been missed and to verify the quantities from bid. 

so now you have to places to get the quantities. 

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Zoltan,

So you need to Contact the tendering team to get the detail of the Quantity to cost load the schedule initially. The tendering team would have the detail of how they came up with the overall quantity.

So the Input would be from Tendering Estimation Team.

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

who made the schedule typically you have to know how much (units or quantity) before you can say how long (duration)

for example you cant just say it will take me 5 days to install lights in a particular room withput 1st knowing how MANY lights (units or quantity) are in the room and what type of lights there are. From there you cknow your rate of installation for 1 man or a crew and then you decide on how many men or crews to use. This will deteremine your duration. How much before how long. 

some one should have the initial quantity take off who bid it  ?

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Zoltan,

but who will give the Quantity for each activity of Cocnrete. Which engineer or department would give me the quantity so that I can allocate the quantity to those activity. Say there are 

Activity IDActivityBudgeted QuantityUnit Rate
A1000Slab on Grade?250
A1010Column - First Floor?250
A1020First Floor?250
A1030Column - First Floor?250
A1040Second Floor?250

So who would give me the budgeted quantity / Activity.

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

filter for your concrete activities 

select edit then select all 

right click and select assign tnen select resources

then select the concrete resource that you make for concrete material 

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Zoltan,

That I do know but there would be many activities related to Concrete in the schedule like I have refered.

I would like to know how to split that Overall Quantity to per Activity Quantitiy so that we can allocate cost to each activity.

Who can give that Input.

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

create a resource make the name concrete make the type a material resource 

then in the units & prices tab put in your price if c Cu M of concrete $350

now go to the concrete activites in the schedule and in the resource tab assign the concrete resource

now iin the budgeted units put in the Cu M of concrete for this activity 250 

it will take the budgeted quantity (250) and multiply by the price per unit ($350) and give you a budgeted cost of $87,500