Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How Best to Conduct a General Detailed Scheduling Workshop? Please help with your input!

4 replies [Last post]
Alexander A
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

My name is Alexander and I am from Australia. I am what I would consider a junior scheduler (compared some of you very experienced folk) and I work on a variety of projects, mainly in the ICT space. I really love scheduling and project controls as it ensures project risk is managed with quantified metrics.

I wish to seek guidance on how best to hold a detailed planning workshop for the projects I am currently working with. I have been brought in to conduct programme scheduling for a group of projects that range from Policy, ICT and Legislation.

The projects I am dealing with have not been following good practice, and as a result do not have basic artefacts I can work off such as schedules, WBS and even agreement on what deliverables they are working on! Not to mention their original deadline dates have slipped by about 12 months. Crazy.

Now, I need to conduct detailed planning to develop schedules for each of the projects. 

My question is, what is the best way to conduct a general detailed planning workshop for a project? Is the way I am currently doing considered a good approach? 

My current process, using a Miro Board for visual collaboration is to:

1. Specify what the deliverables are that need to be delivered;

2. Once deliverables are specified, specify what milestones need to be achieved within each deliverable and in which order (also which milestones are dependent on other milestones at a general level);

3. Once milestones are determined, specify which activities need to be completed respective to each individual milestone. The activities are also sequenced for achieving each milestone;

4. Once activities are determined for each activity, lay them all out in the Miro board and sequence them based on the order of the milestones from step 3 above and link dependencies;

5. specify which resources are allocated to each activity and based on the resources, what the duration of those activities are.

At a high level, would you consider this a good practice approach to scheduling? Am I missing anything or could I add anything to my process? Alternatively, what is the process YOU follow for the same type of workshop?

I would really benefit from collective input of this community as for me it is heard to learn on the job from other more experienced schedulers when I am usually the only one on the engagement.

Thank you all. 

- Alexander

Replies

Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

You need an Interactive Planning Session with the team. If you want advice drop me your email address.

Don't run it yourself - get a facilitator in. It will allow everybody to contribute in a non-confrontational way and hpefully you will be free to steer discussions to the conclusions you want. 

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 13 hours ago. Offline

You may find the resources at https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PMKI-SCH.php helpful - everything is available free under a Creative Commons license to take and use except the booK Easy CPM: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/shop-easy-cpm.php

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 13 hours ago. Offline

You may find the resources at https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PMKI-SCH.php helpful - everything is available free under a Creative Commons license to take and use except the booK Easy CPM: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/shop-easy-cpm.php

Roy André
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Seems like a good setup.

In my experience I would introduce the workshop with an open dialog about why you are making a schedule (it can strengthen participation and team spirit, give responsibility, show work in a way so people understands each other’s needs, get a bigger understanding of where once work fit into a bigger picture, etc...), and which value it has in the project (it visualize the project goal, give status update, visualize responsibility, value in continues updates, etc...). 

An unformal chat about this in the beginning will get everyone on the same page, at the same time as they understand why the schedule you are making matters.

In the end of the workshop, it might med smart to conclude how the schedule shall be followed up. If you don’t talk about that in the workshop it can be a hassle to get everyone aligned on updates.

- Roy

Roy André
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Seems like a good setup.

In my experience I would introduce the workshop with an open dialog about why you are making a schedule (it can strengthen participation and team spirit, give responsibility, show work in a way so people understands each other’s needs, get a bigger understanding of where once work fit into a bigger picture, etc...), and which value it has in the project (it visualize the project goal, give status update, visualize responsibility, value in continues updates, etc...). 

An unformal chat about this in the beginning will get everyone on the same page, at the same time as they understand why the schedule you are making matters.

In the end of the workshop, it might med smart to conclude how the schedule shall be followed up. If you don’t talk about that in the workshop it can be a hassle to get everyone aligned on updates.

- Roy