Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Fuel Storage Tank

3 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hello All,

I would like to know the Construction activities in Tank Construction " Fuel Storage Tank - Fixed Cone" . Its a 10000 BPD Tank.

I have listed dow the activities in the sequence of Construction but please let me know if anymore details need to be added and monitored

Tank Civil Foundation

• Tank Foundation Excavation and compaction
  • Blinding Concrete
  • Form and Steel Work    
  • Concrete Pouring
  • Soil Fill and Compaction

Tank Bottom

• Bottom Plates Installation
  • Bottom Plate - Coating

Tank Shell

• Shell Plate Installation
  • Shell - Nozzle and Manway Installation
  • Shell - Final Coating

Tank Roof

• Roof - Center Deck Plate Installation
  • Roof - Drainage Piping
  • Roof - Final Coating

Tank Acessories and Fire Fighting

• Internal Accessories
  • External Accessories
  • Foam Piping Installation
  • Final Coating

Can anyone let me know the manpower required to do the work.

Thanks

Jithin

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Jithin

Depends what it is holding. You need different coatings for different liquids. But you will need inside and outside coating.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Thanks Mike,

"So they made it straight". Poor guys took a lot of effort ;) 

Mike its a total curved tank - so we would have to do 1 Internal Coating and 1 External Coating ?

The Tank dia is 14 M and Height is 10 M.

Thanks

Jithin

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Jithin

You can't do the bottom coating until you have welded the top and coat the whole tank.

If it is a circular welded structure you need internal bracing to prevent wind colapse until the roof is fixed and completes the structure.

You need an access panel for the internal work which is then welded shut before final coating and to get the bracing out.

I recall a precurved steel tank in Iraq for a village water supply. The welders arrived on site and the headman proudly declared. "Your steel was bent when it arrived but we managed to straighten it out for you."

Best regards

Mike Testro