Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Phasing Plans/Drawings

8 replies [Last post]
James Young
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,

can anyone suggest some good software to produce phasing plans etc??

thanks,

james

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

That is very true. The steel companies in the KSA (I was working for one) established offices in India and Philipines for detailing only (Tekla steel and autocad). The labor cost are lower, computers are cheap, and they work at least 60hrs per week and ask for more working hours.

I think that with a simple google search you can easily hook up with few of these companies.

Outsourcing is key for big companies.
With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Samer

There are agencies in the UK that will outsource your CAD work to the Indian sub-continent where skilled operatives will build up your 3D design for about 1/3rd the UK cost.

It won’t be long before they are doing the same with delay analysis - the next phase has to be BIM 3D modelling and we - in the UK - are far behind the curve.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear James,

Usually plans are prepared using Auto CAD.
But if you have a problem with purchasing the software, maybe you can call up some students at a nearby university and they can do it for you at lower rates.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi James

It depends on the level of detail that you want to get to.

If it is just a schematic layout to show intended sequence then PowerPoint will do ok - I tend to scan in a drawing and then scale it down to the page size and then use the powerpoint software to overdraw with the shapes I require - then delete the scanned in picture.

With sketchup 7 you can draw scaled pictures from scratch using mm or ft & inches - it is in effect a basic CAD system.

I have not yet ttried to embed the results back into PowerPoint or Word so you will have to check if that feature is avaiable - but hey - its free.

Best regards

Mike Testro
James Young
Mike,

thanks that works a treat..

Is it better to use sketch up?

James
Mike Testro
Hi James

Save the pictures in JPEG or BITMAP format - it is memory heavy but is clear.

Another way is to hit Print Screen and paste and crop the image.

Best regards

Mike Testro
James Young
Mike,

Thanks for your reply, but when using powerpoint if you cut and paste the drawing in it goes blury when you cut it from a PDF drawing??

Any ideas??

Thanks

James
Mike Testro
Hi James

2D drawings in schematic format can be done in PowerPoint.

For more complex arrangements then Google Sketchup 7 is a free download and easy to learn in 2D.

Both can be animated.

Best regards

Mike Testro