Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Clause 14 Program

9 replies [Last post]
Rabbani M
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
All Seniors,

I am new to Planning. Can you plz guide me what is clause 14 program? Is it same as Baseline Program? My PM gave contractors clause 14 program to check. What are the key elements that I need to check, other than logics?

I will be grateful for kind help. Thanks

Rabbani M

Replies

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rabbani,

Clause 14 in FIDIC 1987 edition, and Clause 8 (8.3 Programme)in FIDIC 1999 which is widely used nowadays especially in Middle East region.

Best regards,

R. Catalan
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Raddani,

First you have to be sure what version of FIDIC you have in your contract.

The latest version of FIDIC: There is no more clause 14 as it ralates to planning.

Thank you,
Scarlett
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Raddani,

Possibly part of your project technical specifications is the general requirements that indicate also the project scheduling specifications. This document includes the administrative and procedural requirement of the Critical Path Method of scheduling and reporting progress of the work.

Review also contractual documents (COC, etc) to verify NTP date, Contract Milestones, schedule submission date, mobilization date, contract duration, NOC/permitting requirements, etc.

Links given by Rodel are very useful in reviewing both the baseline and updates.

Best regards,

R. Catalan

Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Raddani,

If you are new to scheduling then your boss cannot expect that you can go into the details and comment upon the quality and the intricate details of the schedule....but

As a start point see if you can do some of these

1. Is the schedule as per Clause 14 condtitions.
2. Conduct a detailed analysis of the tasks that are related to the owner’s and consultant’s deliverables and obligations.
3. Check out all the constriants and question their existence.
4. Resource histograms and question the productivtiy factor used.
5. Check the TF column.
6. Float of the critcal path.
7. How many near critical paths and why.

Thanks

R

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Raddani,

You are most welcomed Read the Conditions of Contract and ask about everything you do not understand.

Face-to-Face is very important, so you must know your construction team and what they are doing on a daily basis.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rabbani M
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Seniors,

Thanks a lot for your advise and guidance. Hopefully I will learn more with my efforts and PP seniors guidance.

Regards,
Rabbani

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Rabani

You say that you are new to planning - but are you new to construction also - if so you are going to have a very hard time of it.

Your use of Clause 14 indicates a FIDIC form of contract - hence a civils type programme.

First follow Samers advice and then check for a few tricks that contractor’s use to bamboozle the Engineer

1. Artificila contraints - they should all be removed except for the first task.
2. Calendars and work patterns - do the work hours reflect the actual.
3. How many links are SS / FF with lead lags - there should be none.
4. Is there a clear critical path - if not why not - and if there is more than one critical path it has been rigged.
5. How many tasks have no outgoing links - there should be at least one.
6. Are the early tasks a bit shorter than the later ones - if so the programme has been set up for an early delay claim.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Rabbani,

Below link are some guide for checking Schedule and Baseline.

Checks and Balances: Baseline Schedule Review

Practical Baseline Schedule Checking
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rabbani,

No one can answer this question except you. You need to open the Condition of Contract and read Clause 14.

The elements that you need to check, in general, are the following:

1.Schedule is complete and contains all the Contract Documents requirements.
2. Method Statement is logical.
3. Resources and durations.
4. Relationships.
5. Schedule development does not have any errors and the duration is meeting contract requirement.

With kind regards,

Samer