Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Schedule Against Baseline

6 replies [Last post]
Pharrel Arraviano
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

Please help me, i am a rookie on this planning and schedulling.

I have a schedule that need to be updated against the baseline/Target,i need to know the best method of updating, comparing to the basline & forecasting the completion.

I usually input the percent complete and RUN (with unlink remaining duration to percent complete)then i reduce the remaining duration by 7 days (the working days in a week)so at least the target finish of an activity will be the same as basline. But how about if the activity suppose to finish but it has not finished, how we determine the remaining duration?

2nd scenario, i RUN another copied file with (Link remainning duration with PC) and let the software forecast the end date. but the remaining duration in this methode will jump if the period % complete is under expectation.

I hope my question is not to confusing.

Thanks All.

Replies

Ramraj R
User offline. Last seen 11 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

To every planners,

I am new tleo primavera6.i make one schedulein primavera 6.make the same as baseline schedule.but after scheduling ,the all baseline dates are  changing with  the current date.means  in  the summmary the baseline date and current date are same .actuall there is a one week difference

?if the question is wrong.how can i get comparison b/w baseline and current in p6.

please  help  me

thks  and rgds

Ramraj R

Benito Nepomuceno
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Have a visit to www.planningengineers.org by Gary France and take a look about "The 5 minute Update".
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

It is ussally good to have an expected finish date on any activtiy that has an actual start date.

Your case is no different, you have very rightly unlinked % and RD. You can either put an expected finish date on the started activties so that it can be automatically reduce the RD to match the expected completion date or just keep on adjusting the RD.

Regards
Rashid
Pharrel Arraviano
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
James,

the software is Primavera 3.1

Mark,

The reason that i reduce the duration each week is to maintain the finish target for each activity, unless there are some information that the activity would finish earlier or later, but what about other act that does not have any available information especially activity that the target already behind data date. Please advice if there are more accurate method.

Thanks Guys for sharing this,
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Each period update, requires the planner to ascertain where each activity is. Depending on your expertise of the project you either make this decision yourself or ask the person in charge of this activity. Whjat you need to know is when will the activity finish and how far have they gone. However software can calculate the PC based on the remaining duration over the original duration. This is not ideal but in some case the only solution as often the estimate PC is over cooked.

Reducing your plan by 7 days each week isnt planning but you won’t be the first or last to do this.
James Kendrick
User offline. Last seen 14 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
I think here Pharrel you need to really understand the basics of planning, But firstly it would help if you could indicate to oneself which software package you are using??