Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Timely Distributed Schedule% complete Required

7 replies [Last post]
adab azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Gents,

Greetings to everyone.

Hope You all are safe and doing good.

facing a small problem. Hope , will get some help.

I Have a 30 days project that is to be done in two shiftts (7:00-19:00 & 19:00 to 7:00) Calendar 24X7

I am required to note all the two shifts schedule percentage complete  at once, separately for both shifts. 

I will really appreciate if someone guide me to get all this schedule percentage complete (two shifts separately).

Thanks in Advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

you can progress the 1st shift and schedule the project and have a % complete after the 1st shift. 

next progress the schedule after the 2nd shift and you have a overall % complete

subtract the % complete and the end of the 1st shift from the overall % complete and you have your % complete for only the 2nd shift.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 12 hours ago. Offline

Hi Adab,

There is no way to get the percentage complete for both shifts in one go. The standard practice is to update the schedule every shift finished and report against it, then another update for the next shift. If the detail information for your shutdown activities is by hours and not exeeding more than shift hours or overlaping shift after shift then it is posible by using the actual hours update and use the shift calendar on your time scale. If the shutdown task overlap per shift how can you determine the correct progress every shift?

Example: You have a shutdown task that progress 60% on the first shift then 90% on the next shift, how can you determine the task was completed 60% on the first shift if you did not run the update on the first shift? Or task was completed 50% on the first shift and 0% on the following shift. How can you report the progress on the first shift for 50% if the schedule is not update and run after the first shift. But it will be reported same 50% on the following shift unknowingly it suppose to be first shift.

adab azeez

Hi Rodel

thank you so much for your kind response.

Both shifts have same scope. they are working in continuation.

I only want to know a method in P6  by which I can get all the schedule percentage complete on one run. Otherwise I will have to keep scheduling (f9) with different Data Dates to get all my schedule percentage complete.

Hope my query is clear.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

If work among the shifts is a continuation of the work done by other shifts then after updating if things do not happen as planned then total volume of work to be done by each shift changes and % complete per shift loose its meaning if using separate activities.

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Adab,

Report Wizard is easy to use but need to understand the function of each field. If you are not familiar with report wizard, my recommendation is to create a layout that will produce a report after your update and calculate your schedule (F9) that can print PDF copy for your report. Or if you really need to learn the repot wizard, kindly share the layout of report you wanted to produce so I can teach you how.

adab azeez
Hi Rodel How are you. Actually it's a refinery shutdown project. Shutdown is planned to be done in 30days. Calendar 24hrsX7days, . There are two cut off times for reporting the progress.. One 7 Am morning and another 7PM evening. If I am asked to give the schedule% complete for each day at two shifts I. e. at 7 AM and 7PM, Then the most simple way is that I can schedule (F9) my project at two times (7 AM morning and 7 PM evening) 30-30 times. But there is a report wizard where we can get all this schedule % at one click. I tried but unable to get it. Will appreciate if anyone come forth to help.
Rodel Marasigan

Hi Adab,

Just need a clarification to help you out. Is both shifts have different scope or continuation from one shift to another shift? I'm just curious why you are having this as difficult task. You can cut-off the schedule every shift and it should be give you percentage of work per shift and overall cumulative.