Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Layouts with built in filters

5 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Morning all, 

I've had a layout shared with me with filters built in, however I can't see how the filter works.  When I go to filter it shows "custom filter" but when selected it shows no filters selected for me to interrogate.  I've noticed this morning that it's not working completely so I really need to see that filter to fix it. 

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can see it?

Thanks in advance, 

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Thomas,

The issue you're facing is becasue the layout was saved using WBS as one of the Grouping bands. WBS ID's in P6 are based on the Project ID, and not the Project ID you see in the Projects view, but rather, the P6 Internal Database ID that the project uses.

Even in the same database, openign that layout with another project will not work, becuase the WBS ID being referenced isn't the open project. So when you Export an XER file and import that into another databsae, the Destination Database Project ID will not be the same as the Source Database Project ID, and the WBS Grouping band wont know what to reference and therefore fail.

However, what the layout will retain is columns (mostly), fonts, colours, etc. So you can almost recreate the same layout.

The best thing to do, is to ask the original creator of the layout to send you screenshots of:

1) The Grouping Dialog

2) The Filters being applied

3) The columns being displayed

4) The Timescale options selected

Plus anyhting more that the layout specifically used, such as curtains, stacked resource histograms etc.

Thomas Nicholson

Hi Santosh, 

I know what is saved, it's seeing it in a layout that has been shared with you that's the problem.  It seems when this happens you can't see the filters applied at the time of saving so unless you have the person who created it no one knows.

thank you for the reply though, much appreciated.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Thomas,

If you want a reference of exactly what gets saved in a P6 Layout - I created a page for this a long time ago, including a one page PDF that lists all the details:

Primavera P6 Views and Layouts | Australasian Project Planning (austprojplan.com.au)

Thomas Nicholson
Hi there, Thanks for this, I suspect the person who created it isn’t about any longer. The layout works as much as it filters out something but not everything I need. I suspect I’ll have to rewrite it and hope it picks up everything again. Thanks, Thom
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 10 hours ago. Offline

Hi Thomas,

The usual issue why filter is not show is due to absence of the data that being called or define in filter. This normally happened for WBS specially if the Project ID was changed after the filter was created. If you inherit the Layout with built-in filter that referring to not available data, such as WBS then the filter will be blank. Another ex is a EPS filter (i.e. EPS Activity Code, EPS UDF, etc...) but your database have different EPS. Same issue to Project Activity Code and the activity code is not present on your project. The only way it will be working is to ask the person that send you the layout to send you the snapshot of the filter and make sure it is present on your P6 Database.