Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6 and Line Numbers

4 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 2 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Inserting a line numbers column in Primavera P6 helps better reference a schedules WBS elements and/or activities. Line numbers are also very helpful for comparing different versions of the same schedule. Learn More http://ed.gr/grb0

Replies

Marsha Peterson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Sometimes I don't have access to the MSP schedule my client wants me to put into P6, therefore I can't import.  I've set up a fill-in USER DEFINED FIELD that Emily refers to as the "line numbers' column in P6.  That let's me have both an activity id in P6 and reference the same User ID from MSP.  It also allows me to fill in the Unique ID if that is available...  That way they'll recognize the activities as they are in P6, even if I've used a different WBS structure than they did.

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 6 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hi David,

Very true. They do have the Unique ID column as well, but most MSP users I've dealt with don't seem to use it......

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

You are correct of course, Robert, but we do need to help the walking wounded who are escaping from Microsoft Project......

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 6 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Personally I'm not keen on Line Numbers at all. Rows are automatically renumbered during data manipulation. So any time you remove an activity, add one, move one, change the WBS, apply a filter, or even when data is expanded or collapsed, the numbers are assigned to different items.

Also, if these numbers are being used in communications, you run the risk of confusion down the line whereby an item is referenced one day with a Line Number which is then assigned to something completely different the next. Dangerous for other users with different layouts, or even the same user who may be unaware. Why take the risk?

Activity ID is a unique reference number and, unless changed manually through poor control, will always refer users to the same item. Sure the numbers might be a little longer, but they're much more reliable than Line Numbers in my opinion.

I'm sure there are occasions when people find it useful but I'd always recommend sticking with Activity ID.